WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Airshow Advice

Old 20-09-06, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
Ollie, I wish you'd think a little more before posting about the woes of Duxford. None of the things you've stated were a problem for you at Flying Legends since you chose not to pay and freeloaded from a field. Why just jump on the bandwagon when none of these things affected you? Lots of people read the content of what's posted here, they probably go away with an opinion about you rather than one about Duxford.
Rob,
You have also expressed your opinion on Duxford before on other forums. I have only once freeloaded, i have been going to Duxford since i was knee high to a grasshopper and every time i went i payed to get in.
Old 21-09-06, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
Nick, I'm not aware of any disabled gate concessions, there aren't any listed on the website http://www.shuttleworth.org or an any of the show flyers that I've got. If you give the office/shop a ring (01767 627927) they'll confirm this either way.

There's a separate disabled parking area at the top of the field near the beer hut. It's grass not tarmac but if you're happier parking on the tarmac then I'm sure you can find space by the camper vans. The disabled area gives you a good view from the top of the field and it's not too far from the loos, hangars, restaurant and shop. You can watch the show from the side of your car, there are good views from anywhere on the field, which slopes down towards the airstrip and therefore provide a natural arena, but if you'd prefer to get closer then you might want to site yourself somewhere on the crowd fence. The large gate to the track which runs across the field to the farm opposite is a pretty good spot as is the small gate at the apex of the crowd line or a spot by the tower often yields good shots. Very few people make use of the excellent opportunities at the far right-hand end by the ticket booth as you enter the airfield. This spot allows you to catch the planes as they turn in for a run along the display line and you can get some cracking shots. I'm surprised that more people haven't worked this out for themselves.

If you've got any questions on the day then ask any one of the security staff or volunteers, I'm sure they'll be very helpful. I'm a member of the liveside photography/security team, my name's on my hi-vis jacket (Rob Leigh) so say hello if you see me.

I hope you have a great time, fingers crossed for some lovely golden lighting.

Rob

Ollie, I wish you'd think a little more before posting about the woes of Duxford. None of the things you've stated were a problem for you at Flying Legends since you chose not to pay and freeloaded from a field. Why just jump on the bandwagon when none of these things affected you? Lots of people read the content of what's posted here, they probably go away with an opinion about you rather than one about Duxford.
Thanks Rob,

Its not a problem for me getting around as long as the ground is firm, you have given me many options on best vantage points thanks, is the crowd line the best place?

Cheers
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).
Old 21-09-06, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
Thanks Rob,

Its not a problem for me getting around as long as the ground is firm, you have given me many options on best vantage points thanks, is the crowd line the best place?

Cheers
Nick, the crowd line along the fence is the best area to take photos from during the show. If you arrive with plenty of time to have a look around you can make your own mind up about which spot you prefer. Because of the downward slope on the carpark towards the fence-line, you can get a good view from pretty much all of the field but the fence line gets you that bit closer to the planes. If you spot me wandering around I'll run you through the merits of each of my favourite spots.

Enjoy the show,

Rob

Last edited by Wheeler; 21-09-06 at 19:32.
Old 24-09-06, 19:37

Hi All, I had a great time at Old Warden yesterday, It was good to meet up with Ollie, Rob and Ian, thanks for all the advice given by all. I have uploaded a few pics in my gallery, please let me know what you think, I don't mind any critique.

Cheers
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).
Old 24-09-06, 20:26

Nick

It was a pleasure meeting you and your nephew and glad any advice we were able to give was of help. I hope the bike racing went off OK and look forward to seeing you at DX or Old Warden again in the furutre.
Old 24-09-06, 20:31

Nick,
It was great to meet you. I hope you come back.