WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Nature Macro Photography with minimum equipments.

Old 15-03-06, 13:53

Default Nature Macro Photography with minimum equipments.

I started using D-SLR for macro photography since Christmas last year. Over 3,000 shots now. Attached are some of the pictures.

My equipments include;
Nikon D50,
Nikkor 60mm macro lens,
Manfrotto 055PROB tripod,
Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head,
Velbon Super Mag Slider.

I use lowest ISO speed of 200; built-in flash, set the aperture at between f:22 to f:32.

The most essential is the 60 mm macro lens. It is about right for small insects. I feel no need for special macro lights as I believe the pop-up flash is more natural as in nature we also have the sun as the only one source of light.

Tripod is not always possible as insects not always standing still. I start shooting hand holding first. After that I may use tripod if possible. With tripod and slider I could get closer to the object. I always use auto focus, especially for flying insects. The D50 will automatically activated when in focus in the burst mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frog_7893.jpg (129.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Ground_Beetle_8222.jpg (137.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Dragonfly_7952.jpg (92.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Lesser_Zebra_6358.jpg (199.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg insect_8215.jpg (87.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 15-03-06, 13:58

A super set of pictures Ruchai.
Any chance of posting a pic of your Velbon Super Mag Slider as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

Don
Old 15-03-06, 23:48

Very good shots.I am thinking of purchasing the 60mmEFS lens,if the results are as good as the nikon 60mm,then if I can find a low priced lens on e-bay,then I will give it a go.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 16-03-06, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
A super set of pictures Ruchai.
Any chance of posting a pic of your Velbon Super Mag Slider as I am not familiar with it.

Thanks

Don
For more details see: http://www.velbon-tripod.com/accessories.htm
Attached Images
File Type: gif super_mag_slider.gif (11.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 16-03-06, 00:43

Fantastic images. I too use the Nikon 60mm micro and can vouch for its superb qaulity.

Cant wait for spring to arrive so I can get out and take plenty of insect pictures.

Nogbad
Old 16-03-06, 09:38

This is an area of photography that I have become really interested in. I have purchased a sigma 105mm macro lens and am looking forward to the spring and subjects to try it out on. All my photography so far has been hit and miss,if I got a decent shot it was mainly down to pure luck, I have not said a lot on this forum but the amount of knowledge I am getting by reading the threads is fantastic. These macro chots have given me inspiration to try and do better. Thanks everybody.
Old 16-03-06, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchai
Thanks Ruchai,

That looks like an excellent bit of kit. It would certainly help with fine focussing.

Don
Old 16-03-06, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N
This is an area of photography that I have become really interested in. I have purchased a sigma 105mm macro lens and am looking forward to the spring and subjects to try it out on. All my photography so far has been hit and miss,if I got a decent shot it was mainly down to pure luck, I have not said a lot on this forum but the amount of knowledge I am getting by reading the threads is fantastic. These macro chots have given me inspiration to try and do better. Thanks everybody.
The advantage of using digital camera for macro is that you can see the result instantly. So you can find out what mistake you had made and correct them. I used to take macro with film cameras some 30 years ago. It was not very successful. With digital cameras I can improve my skill rapidly. I took about 1000 shot per month with my D50 and 60mm macro lens for 3 months now. I am addicted to macro photography and seldom take pictures of birds like I used to. I think you do not need much equipments to achieve good results.

ttached are some more macro pictures, enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insect_6060.jpg (139.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg bee_8282.jpg (94.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg insect_7068.jpg (75.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Moth_7722.jpg (97.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Robberfly_7838.jpg (140.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 16-03-06, 11:54

Default 60mm EF-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Very good shots.I am thinking of purchasing the 60mmEFS lens,if the results are as good as the nikon 60mm,then if I can find a low priced lens on e-bay,then I will give it a go.

Christine,
I have just recently purchased the above lens and can highly recommend it for both portrait work and macro. I'm just getting into macro and I'm following the threads with great interest.

Old 16-03-06, 13:07

Bearing in mind the title of this thread, anyone with just a compact digital camera can get very satisfactory results from the very minimum of kit.

I've seen some very good shots from cameras such as the Nikon Coolpix 4500 and provided you don't want to make big enlargements or severe crops they may be all you require if you don't want to carry lots of kit around on a warm day. (In the UK most of the favourite nature macro subjects such as butterflies and dragonflies don't want to come out to play on cool, dull days, anyway!)

A couple of years ago I tried out a Sony W1 on a number of subjects and found that the lens did not give a very good image in macro at the telephoto end of the zoom but was much better at the wide angle end. This required getting extremely close to the subject in order to get a decent-sized image of the subject and in order to make sure I didn't over-shadow it I held the camera at arms' length.

It required a bit of practice and getting to know the limitations of your equipment is important but with practice I found it was easier to approach a lot of subjects like this rather than 'over-powering' them with your whole body behind a SLR camera.

Image below 'nabbed' from Birdforum to show a typical shot (note how depth of field is quite good over most of the wing due to the relatively small size of the aperture on a very short focal-length lens)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1805common_darter_19_8_04.jpg (82.7 KB, 37 views)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway