WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Do you keep .psd files?

Old 08-11-06, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
I think you misunderstand my drift, or it has already drifted elsewhere.

I was probably drifting off, musing on Rob's comments.

Generally, I view all my out-of-camera shots (jpeg or raw) straight off the memory card and keep only those that I want. From these, any that I work on are kept as either tiffs or psds (don't use layers often, so either format is ok) which are, hopefully, 'final' images, as good as I can get them at that point.

Any that I print or put into galleries here, etc., will be from these final images, re-sized as necessary.

I keep my shots in seperate folders, depending on subject, and when I've selected those I want to print, etc. and also got enough files in the folder to fill a writable disc I'll copy them onto that disc and delete them from the PC

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 09-11-06, 17:59

Default File Storage

I delete most of the crap on site then run them through the computer and delete any other which are better viewed at screen size. I then transfer the remainder to a CD. Only the best if i am lucky do I open in Photoshop CS and after working save as PSD to my hard drive.

Pete-c
Old 10-11-06, 10:50
Chris

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I suppose we all have to set our own threshold for total junk, thereafter it seems to hinge on whether we print or not and maybe if we hope to become more skillful with PS or not.

BTW saving layered PS stuff as .tif does not destroy the layering, but still takes the same space as .psd (at least with LZW compression it does, xpect Zip and RLE similar)