WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Mac OS printing Q

Old 19-09-08, 10:26
Chris

Default Mac OS printing Q

thought I had tamed printing, from PowerBook/OS10.4.11 to newish Canon iX4000....but exactly same files and near as poss same settings from MacBook pro/10.5.4 produce washed out versions needing approx 20% increase in 'intensity' slider to correct and borderless printing isn't.

Very difficult to work out what come from OS and what comes from printer driver (4.8.3), but they don't seem to be talking the same language.

Have tried Apple discussions, getting rid of other 5000 other printer drivers and minor tweaks all to no avail. At present sticking an ethernet cable through and printing files on MacBook from PowerBook, but would like the desk space back and preserve PowerBook for when I need Classic.

Any of you (3 or are there more lurkers?) have any suggestions?
Old 19-09-08, 11:10

I think there is more than three of us.

I might be Canon printer specific as the only time I printed anything was using my HP printer and I was impressed how good the print was. Nothing washed out, colours fairly accurate.

Are you aware 10.5.5 is now available.
Old 19-09-08, 19:30

It sounds like a colour management workflow problem Chris - I had something similar when I upgraded my Lightroom from 1.3 to 1.4.1. I went through systematically uninstalling and reinstalling printer driver, finding new paper profiles for the papers I use and applying them, looking at printing presets in the software printing applications etc. I ended up doing what I should have done years ago, profiling the monitor, checking my colour management was consistent throughout from import to print, and making my own paper profiles. Since that intensive and frustrating week of work, all has been ok!
Old 19-09-08, 21:33
Chris

thank you both for input

I am trying to print for a local club comp, after summer recess, on subject 'multi-colours' and, trying first tests using incredibly harsh light from slide projector with no slide as the club does, it reminded me that the classic pearl paper I have used for ages scatters light horribly and, surprisingly, more so than glossy

So I came back with a pack of HP Premium plus glossy (not able to get Canon locally), reread the Canon blurb on printer and Canon semi-secret blurb on colour profiles, changed nearly every single setting and, hey, I have prints that are nicely saturated and even with brightness beginning to make up for loss of backlighting one is used to compared to looking at pics on screen....a tad skewed to pink, but OK for this job and probably correctable.

So happier until I find out the price of Canon A3 paper

BTW, OS 10.5.5 arrived itself this morning and NX 2.1 waiting for installation, though doubt either will make any difference.
Old 19-09-08, 23:20

I'm glad you got it sorted. There's nothing so frustrating as not being able to match screen and print versions of an image.
Old 20-09-08, 09:52
Chris

although I thought this was a technical glitch question, it opens up a more general one about how photographic papers work, restarting thread with title more folks may contribute to.....