WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sigma 105 mm & a 1.4 converter?

Old 18-07-06, 09:08

Default Sigma 105 mm & a 1.4 converter?

Hi all,

I am planning to start out in the field of macro photography and am thinking about buying the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG for use with my Nikon D70. I want to get as close as I can so I'd also like to buy the Sigma 1.4 converter. Can these two be used together? On the Sigma site and others it seems that only APO (?) lens can be used with the converter.

Alternatively, I would love to hear any other lens recommendations from anyone that can get me as close as possible without breaking the bank!

Cheers.

Bornean Wild Cat & Clouded leopard Project http://www.wildaboutcats.org/borneo.htm
Old 18-07-06, 10:09

Hi Baycat,

I would check out the Kenko DG AF Extension Tube Set 12-20-36 as the most economic way to go macro with your 105 Sigma. They will extend and still afford Auto Focus on your D70.

Best of Luck

Brian
Old 18-07-06, 10:16

If you don't want to break the bank I would go for the Sigma 180mm macro. It's decent quality and gives you the reach for nervous insects. However, it depends on what you photograph. If you do not photograph nervous insects, then the 105mm would be fine and would be easier to use i.e. lighter and more compact. I'm not sure I would use a TC though.

This might be of interest:

http://www.nnplus.de/macro/Macro100E.html

I am a little confused though. Isn't the 105mm lens you mention a macro?

Leif
Old 18-07-06, 11:17

Thanks for the replies.

Ideally I would like to be able to shoot both nevous flighty insects (I'm off to Borneo for 3 years so lots of beasties!) and also extreme close-ups of plants. I'm completely new to all this, but from reading I think I'd like to go beyond 1:1 for the plant shots, so I believe I'll need something extra to the lens to get this level of magnification (?).

Thanks for the reccomendation prostie, I'll check the tubes out. I wonder how much difference these tubes will make to the level of magnification I can get? Will it make more (proportionate) difference to a smaller focal length lens?

Thanks for the article Leif, very useful. Presumably the 180 Sigma will not enable me to get any closer than the 105 (they're both 1:1 I believe) so is the main advantage that you can shoot from further away and still get the same magnification?

Cheers

Bornean Wild Cat & Clouded leopard Project http://www.wildaboutcats.org/borneo.htm
Old 18-07-06, 11:24
Super Moderator

Dont forget the Jessops set of extension tubes they are £79 for the three. I have been playing around with them on my Canon set-up they are brilliant.
I have photo's in my gallery taken with these. http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=57
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 18-07-06, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycat
ticle Leif, very useful. Presumably the 180 Sigma will not enable me to get any closer than the 105 (they're both 1:1 I believe) so is the main advantage that you can shoot from further away and still get the same magnification?

Cheers
Hello Andy: Yes that's it. The 180mm allows more working distance at a given magnification e.g. 1:1. So you can stay further away from the insect (or snake!) and you are less likely to frighten them away.

I agree with Saphire that tubes are a good way to go beyond 1:1. I have Triplus autofocus tubes. They retain AF and metering on Nikon cameras. Build is okay I suppose.

Leif
Old 21-08-06, 20:35

If you want a good 1.4 converter the Kenko Pro works very nicely with the Sigma. As far as tubes go, the shorter the focal length of the lens in use the greater the magnification achieved.
Old 25-08-06, 04:39

I second Kenko. Make sure to go for set rather than intermediate length single extension ring that will cost you not much less that set.

Alternatively you may want to look at bellow as well. One like this one LINK.

Bellow is cheaper and more versatile but Kenko gives you the electronic connections (Rather than simple mechanical contact with bellow) so more accurate focusing with confirmation light, etc.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 25-08-06, 12:37

Thanks for the replies.

Extension tubes certainly sound like the way to go, but I'm unsure how much benefit they will be for longer focal length lenses, if the main aim is get maximum magnification.

Presumably the tubes work by effectively shortening the minimum focusing distance between the camera and the subject, thus allowing you to go beyond 1:1. I can see how this extension of say 60mm would significantly affect a 50mm lens, but how much affect would it have on say a 105mm or a 180mm, which presumably have a larger min focusing distance?

Given this, what lenses do you use your tubes on?

Old 26-08-06, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycat
Thanks for the replies.

Extension tubes certainly sound like the way to go, but I'm unsure how much benefit they will be for longer focal length lenses, if the main aim is get maximum magnification.

Presumably the tubes work by effectively shortening the minimum focusing distance between the camera and the subject, thus allowing you to go beyond 1:1. I can see how this extension of say 60mm would significantly affect a 50mm lens, but how much affect would it have on say a 105mm or a 180mm, which presumably have a larger min focusing distance?

Given this, what lenses do you use your tubes on?

I am not a qualified engineer so someone correct me if wrong, but I believe you can achieve the same magnification with any lens, only with longer focal lengths, you need larger extension. Having said that, this later situation gives you the benefit of longer sensor to object distance, in other word if you are taking a macro picture of a live bee, with a 28mm on extension vs 200mm, keeping the mag ratio the same at both egs by changing the extension length, you are more likely to get a bee sting with 28mm as you are very close to sharp, uncomfortable at time creature.

Now if you add the flash to this situation, there might be some situations (Still macro photography) where you find yourself more comfortable to be close to the subject to utilize all that lux of flash.

Again consider that when doing macro, one of the essential elements being tripod, situation could be easier to handle with a lighter equipments or you need heavier tripod to hold that long lens on extension attached to body.

Having said it before, let me share my personal secret of macro. If you have a bellow, use a mid size zoom (My favorite, the cheaper Canon 70-300mm), using length of extension in bellow for primary magnification factor rise, then using zoom ring of lens for focusing purpose. Macro is so much fun and easy this way especially for hand held situations that you need lesser magnifications such as daylight photography at garden, with good distance to subject especially the not so friendly live and shy creatures.

Hope it help and have fun. BTW do not underestimate the power of bellow (Link to another eg).

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 26-08-06 at 18:41.