WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 300mm f4

Old 12-03-07, 09:18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Farmer View Post
Remember that the Sigma f/2.8 should work with the 2X TC and maintain AF but the Nikon f/4 will not. Personly I would be tempted to go for the Sigma; I am a glutten for speed. Try to get some other feed back on the Sigma, if it is a prime lens and not a Zoom, I think it will be your best bet.
Another option at a similar price is the Sigma 120-300 f2.8, this is supposed to have near identical AF speed and IQ to the 300 f2.8 prime, but with the flexability of a zoom. I do know someone who tested both a felt that the IQ of the zoom was better than the prime, it was sharper wide open!
Old 12-03-07, 12:14

Zooms have come a long way, I have heard that the Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 zoom is sharper than the Sigma 800 f/5.6 prime. Don't know why, a zoom has more elements making it more complicated.
Old 12-03-07, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Farmer View Post
Zooms have come a long way, I have heard that the Sigma 300-800 f/5.6 zoom is sharper than the Sigma 800 f/5.6 prime. Don't know why, a zoom has more elements making it more complicated.
I can only guess that new manufacturing methods (computer controlled griding, and polishing), new kinds of glass, and aspherics mean that modern zooms perform to a level never before imagined and yet can be produced at an affordable price.

It could be that the 800 prime is simply an older design, and were it to be redone, it would beat the zoom. Just look at wide angle primes. Most are old designs from the 80's (in the case of Nikon anyway) whereas wide angle zooms are usually from the past decade.
Old 12-03-07, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Another option at a similar price is the Sigma 120-300 f2.8, this is supposed to have near identical AF speed and IQ to the 300 f2.8 prime, but with the flexability of a zoom. I do know someone who tested both a felt that the IQ of the zoom was better than the prime, it was sharper wide open!
I will have a look at the 120-300mm. Other people have mentioned to me the Bigma but for me thats out the game due to it being relatively slow.
Old 12-03-07, 17:58

Ollie,

I would have thought VR would be the name of the game in aviation photography. Having looked at the exifs in Foxys pics he has gone down to 1/125 sec at 300mm + to achieve prop blurr.

Don
Old 12-03-07, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Ollie,

I would have thought VR would be the name of the game in aviation photography. Having looked at the exifs in Foxys pics he has gone down to 1/125 sec at 300mm + to achieve prop blurr.

Don
Yes VR would be usefull. I cant see any mention of Nikons F4 having VR though.
Old 12-03-07, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
Yes VR would be usefull. I cant see any mention of Nikons F4 having VR though.
It does not, but 80-400 does.

It is just a thought as I do not know how you hand hold a 300mm at speeds of 1/200 sec and lower and get sharp pics. I certainly cannot.

Before someone jumps on this, by sharp, I mean fine detail is sharp when viewed at 100%.

Don
Old 13-03-07, 02:03

I have thought about the 80-400 but im not to sure about it. Again its not a fast lens and at times last year i could have done with a faster lens.
Old 13-03-07, 07:56

I second Bigma F2.8
Not having one myself but have heard a lot of good about it.
Even after a year of use, you should be able to salvage a good portion of your investment on ebay when disposing it.
I have Bigma 50-500mm and the only difference I see in comparison to Canon's top of the line L series, is the better color render with Canon's glass. Sharpness is equally good on both.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN