WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Fisheye Lens

Old 29-03-07, 09:55

Stephen,

Just to give an idea of what the 12mm end of the zoom will get you I now have two full frame shots at Hunstanton beach in my gallery. At the 12mm end the picture angle is quoted as 99 deg. Minimum focus distance 11.8" so you can get bags of dof.

In portrait mode you have to be carefull to not get your feet in the frame, and in landscape mode you find people you think are at the side of you, walking unexpectedly into frame due to the wide angle.

In the Tides Out pic I cropped the left side to get rid of a bit of intruding mast and the bottom is cropped to loose my shadow, which can be another problem in a low sun situation.

Don
Old 29-03-07, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Stephen,

Just to give an idea of what the 12mm end of the zoom will get you I now have two full frame shots at Hunstanton beach in my gallery. At the 12mm end the picture angle is quoted as 99 deg. Minimum focus distance 11.8" so you can get bags of dof.

In portrait mode you have to be carefull to not get your feet in the frame, and in landscape mode you find people you think are at the side of you, walking unexpectedly into frame due to the wide angle.

In the Tides Out pic I cropped the left side to get rid of a bit of intruding mast and the bottom is cropped to loose my shadow, which can be another problem in a low sun situation.

Don
When I saw 'tides out' I knew exactly what lens had been used. In my field 99 degrees is not that wide but in photography I am sure it is. I am torn between a fisheye and a superwide but fancy the fisheye slightly more as I can use its distortion or opt to remove in NX. Fisheye is also less expensive but both are like hens teeth on the used market.
Old 01-04-07, 12:23

For a quick fish-eye effect go down to your local DIY store and get a door spy-hole, drill hole in lens cap to fit spy-hole, glue spy-hole into lens cap.
Old 03-04-07, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
For a quick fish-eye effect go down to your local DIY store and get a door spy-hole, drill hole in lens cap to fit spy-hole, glue spy-hole into lens cap.

I think this deserves a bit of a warning. I have just checked and Nikons lens mounting face to the front edge of the mirror in down position is 16mm. Mirror swinging up will take about 3mm off that. These things are about 38mm deep so it is all too easy to mount a bit deep and then kill your camera when tripping the shutter.

Don
Old 03-04-07, 20:54

Can you attch a lens cap directly to the lens mounting face? I always clipped the attachment to a 50mm lens.
Old 03-04-07, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
Can you attch a lens cap directly to the lens mounting face? I always clipped the attachment to a 50mm lens.
OK a bit of misunderstanding on my part. I have one of these somewhere. When I find it I will give it a go.

Don