WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Short fast zoom for Canon 40D

Old 27-02-12, 12:55

Default Short fast zoom for Canon 40D

I am starting my fund to purchase a new lens. I recently shot a theatre show using just my 50mm f1.8. That was ok, and the image quality was fine, but my legs were knackered afterwards because to get full stage shots I had to be at the back of the auditorium, and to get close ups of performers I needed to go to row 2 of the seats. So, I was back and forth all the time.

I have a 40D.

I think I may be able to sort something in the region of £300, but it'll take me a couple or three months.

So, is there a decent, fast (f2.8?) zoom that would cover the range I am talking about?

I klnow I'm not getting "L" lenses , but beyond that I get confused with the other stuff, what is good and what isn't.

Cheers
Old 27-02-12, 16:01
Super Moderator

To get the whole stage in and close ups of the performers from the same stand point I reckon that you would need something like a 5x zoom and they just don't exist in f2.8 at any price, let alone for £300.

To reduce the need to move about so much you might look at something wide angle to compliment your 50mm but even then finding something within your budget that opens up to f2.8 is going to be a challenge. The closest I think you'll come to it is the Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro which gets good reviews <<<HERE>>> but even on ebay you'll be looking at over £400.

The other alternative, assuming you've got an 18-55 standard lens to use for your wide angle shots, get something a bit longer for the close up eg the Canon 85mm f1.8 which would just about be in your budget
Old 27-02-12, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
To get the whole stage in and close ups of the performers from the same stand point I reckon that you would need something like a 5x zoom and they just don't exist in f2.8 at any price, let alone for £300.

To reduce the need to move about so much you might look at something wide angle to compliment your 50mm but even then finding something within your budget that opens up to f2.8 is going to be a challenge. The closest I think you'll come to it is the Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro which gets good reviews <<<HERE>>> but even on ebay you'll be looking at over £400.

The other alternative, assuming you've got an 18-55 standard lens to use for your wide angle shots, get something a bit longer for the close up eg the Canon 85mm f1.8 which would just about be in your budget
It's only a small theatre...an 18mm (on the kit) can give full stage from quite close up. And then the 50 gives decent head and shoulders shots from the same spot, which is why i could probably use it. I tried the kit lens and it was fine, other than not being fast enough when at 55mm (it's 3.5 - 5.6).

I was hoping to get away without lens changes in a dark auditorium, really, hence the zoom option.

Cheers
Old 27-02-12, 18:49
Super Moderator

Tameron is within your budget <<<Link>>> doesn't get great reviews though <<<Here>>>

Sigma gets better reviews <<<here>>> but is dearer <<<Link>>>

The Canon is the one to beat but its the most expensive - you pays your money & takes your choice. I'd be tempted to keep saving & buy the best lens you can - you cant go wrong with good glass

Last edited by Gidders; 27-02-12 at 18:57.