WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

portfolio ideas

Old 28-08-09, 19:43

Default portfolio ideas

started my photography fineart course today and i need to choose a subject to base my portfolio on (which is completly my choice) a few ideas i have come up with are:

macro abstract
macro portraits
abstract portraits
textures

i want to choose a subject that will be diferent and stand out which 1 do you recon would be the best option or if any of you have any ideas please share
Old 28-08-09, 20:36

I have never heard of abstract portraits which seems a bit of a contradiction in terms so if you have the ideas to fulfil that brief it should really stand out.
Old 29-08-09, 09:34

If you're going to do a portrait based portfolio, it demands a ready source of subjects/sitters. Macro portraits could be very 'alternative', if potentially somewhat unflattering. If you have a good think about it you could come up with some pictures that very much stand out and fit the concept of fine art.

Textures is likely to have been done to death by others and would require very much thought to get something that stands out. Macro abstract is likely to have been done in some shape or form, so is unlikely to stand out.

Duncan
Old 29-08-09, 23:41

As you are on a "fine arts" course, how about choosing a school or schools of art and creating a portfolio that photographically recreates your version of well known masterpieces.... know any relatives who might sacrifice an ear in the style of Van Gogh?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-08-09, 00:17

the course is classed as photography/fineart but is more focused ( sorry for the pun) on the photography media rather than fineart side its completly free for you to choose your own category but i see what you mean about re-creating master pieces.. i was more of a dali fan so maybe another option would be to take inspiration from his work and do surreal abstract ?

Last edited by mirax; 30-08-09 at 00:24.
Old 13-10-09, 09:27
dilshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirax View Post
started my photography fineart course today and i need to choose a subject to base my portfolio on (which is completly my choice) a few ideas i have come up with are:

macro abstract
macro portraits
abstract portraits
textures

i want to choose a subject that will be diferent and stand out which 1 do you recon would be the best option or if any of you have any ideas please share

i would love to start with

textures and abstract portraits. as it will have a wide scope of imagination and you can show plenty of emotions and other stuff into this.

Beside you should also have a online portfolio solution too, so that you can show your talent to the world