WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Sigma 120-300 or alternative zoom?

Old 08-01-09, 16:18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon g View Post
Thanks for the heads up Peter. I picked it up this evening - first impressions are that it is a big heavy lens, but that it fits my hand well and balances with the 1DsII body nicely. Unfortunately it only has the older small tripod foot, but considering the price compared to new that is a smll niggle.
I could be wrong (I often am) but I think you can get this changed for the newer larger foot if it does become annoying.
Old 08-01-09, 23:11

Thanks Peter - I read something similar in a review on Fred Miranda. If it becomes a problem I will probably do that.
Old 09-01-09, 17:45

Great news Gordon. Glad you're happy with the lens.

RE the foot issue...I modified (rather crude, but works) an old Ball and socket head (a jessops one that wasn't working properly anyway so scrap), and set the cut off upper thread/platform assembly in an aerosol lid to use as a mould for resin. After a bit of sanding and shaping of the resin, and a splash of black paint, I have an effective palm rest tailored to fit my own palm. The 'crinkle' paint finish created by the accident of putting cellulose laquer on blackboard oil paint adds to the grip!
Would thoroughly recommend, as it makes a massive difference to the comfort of shooting handheld, and costs little and I feel way more comfortable than the screw on sigma one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palm rest.jpg (120.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg palm rest on lens.jpg (176.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-01-09, 10:29

Neat idea Joe!
Old 29-01-09, 22:10

I have had the 120-300 f2.8 out of a few outings now, so can report on it a bit more thoroughly. The lens itself is a non-DG sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX HSM. It is a heavy thing, but balances well with the 1DsII body, and is comfortable to hand-hold. Zoom is internal, so the lens handling is unaffected. My copy has a fairly stiff zoom ring, but I would imagine that will loosen a bit with use. As it is, zooming whilst holding the camera to my eye is possible, but a bit awkward.
It seems to focus on static objects quickly and accurately - no sign of back-focus that has been mentioned in some reviews, and the AF speed isnt bad. Using servo AF, I was getting about 60% of flight shots of fulmars in reasonable focus (good enough for web and small print viewing), and probably 10% sharp enough to view as a large print (A4 upwards). I would expect to get a bit higher sharp rate with my 500 f4.5, but I'm more practised with that lens, and the birds are further off, which makes their relative speed a bit lower as they fly across your view. So with a bit of practice, I hope I can get a higher sharp rate with this lens too.
Static shots on the tripod were fine - using a heavy duty ball head the camera was stable despite the weight. Long lens technique was needed though to make the most of the lens's sharpness. As you would expect, narrow apetures were needed to get any significant DOF, but you could get some great compression effects.
The downsides are that, due to its weight, once I've finished practising with it, I will only take it with me if I'm definately planning to use it or am not walking more than a mile or so with the kit, much as I do with the 500 f4.5, so it wont be the most used of my lenses. (And also, I cant claim that I 'need to cover that zoom range' any more to justify a lens purchase. )

Here are links to a couple of images taken with the lens recently.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?photo=37498
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...44&ppuser=1512
Old 01-04-09, 19:16

I have the Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX APO DG lens and use a Sigma 1.4 EX TC with it. This I find delivers excellent images and I would suggest you give it some consideration.
IMHO is is as good as if not better than alternatives in a similar price range.
See my pics in the gallery for examples.
JohnSD
Old 05-12-09, 12:10

I'd recommend the Tamron Adaptall SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF (60B model). Stick a Tamron Adaptall SP 2x BBAR teleconverter on it and you get a 600mm f5.6 with virtually no noticable loss of sharpness and very well controlled CA.
I picked up mine, used but with mint optics from Jacobs in London for about £300, (reduced from £650!!!). Not sure what they go for on ebay but if your lucky you might get one cheaper.
Old 08-12-09, 22:59

Yeah, I had one of these, a great lens with a nice meaty hood.. Not got it anymore unfortunately. I am a big Tamron fan, and also used the longer 400mm f/4 variant for a while whilst doing some Cricket photography. If you can find one (a little rare now) its a smashing quality lens, if a little less versatile than the 300mm 2.8 + 1.4x converter.
One lens I truely regret selling was my favourite limited edition anniversary SP 180mm f2.5 with lovely smooth lightweight feeling internal focusing, it blew the socks off the Nikkor 180mm 2.8 in the handling stakes. I not seen one since, and think it unlikely I probably will .......

Last edited by Joe; 08-12-09 at 23:02.