WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Tripod advice

Old 30-05-07, 12:33
Super Moderator

I'd agree with others that a cheap tripod is a false enconomy.

I started off with a cheap Velbon, it did the job, but suffered badly from vibrations. Finally I cracked and bought my first Manfrotto, what a difference it made, the legs are solid and the head stays where I lock it. I've had a few sets of Manfrotto legs over the years and have found the bigger ones (055) to be noticeably more stable than the smaller ones (190).

Last week I finally got a set of Gitzo legs... wow. They are amazing at full extent they are taller than me, but remain rock solid. At the height I use them there seems to be no movement or vibration at all. They are simply amazing.

If you can afford a set of Gitzo legs then I honestly think they are worth the high price tag. If not then get a got set of Manfrotto legs, you'll be very happy with them as long as you never try a Gitzo.
Old 30-05-07, 21:13

One thing to bear in mind is the fact that you can often 'mix and match' legs and heads from different makers to get the ideal combination.

I've got a Gitzo with two heads and two columns but, despite being a nominal French company, everything is 'Made in Italy' so it's probably all made by Manfrotto anyway! (I believe the same company owns them both)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-06-07, 16:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
I've got a Gitzo with two heads and two columns but, despite being a nominal French company, everything is 'Made in Italy' so it's probably all made by Manfrotto anyway! (I believe the same company owns them both)
I think you are right, I know I've seen Gitzo heads in the past that had Manfrotto branding on the box.
Old 01-06-07, 16:26

Correct, they're owned by the Vinten Group.
Old 08-06-07, 12:53
Admin

Yep, although Gitzo and Manfrotto/Bogen are quite separate in many was... as much as I'm friendly with Manfrotto and get bits to review, I'm not expecting any Gitzo goodies. They keep to themselves and regard eachother as competitors.
Old 14-06-07, 20:34

so now the golden question who sells the cheapest tripods in the U.K? does the manfrotto 190 come with a head? im after a decent tripod with head, i take mostly macro and wildlife shots, and am suffering badly with a toothpic of a tripod right now.............grrrrrrrr, lol
Serious? Me? Not in this lifetime.......

Last edited by crazee horse; 14-06-07 at 20:39.
Old 15-06-07, 08:03

Crazee,

For the kind of use you describe, I would say you'd be better off with something a bit meatier than the 190. I've never been impressed by the basic 190 model and cannot for the life of me understand why it is held in such high regard. It's OK, but nothing special. For big lenses (wildlife) or extreme close ups, I'd say you'd be better off looking at the 055 range.

As for supply with a head, most 'high end' manufacturer's do not supply with a head as standard, but often dealers will do a legs/head bundle deal.

Take a look at http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/tripods...ryname=Tripods for some pretty good deals.

I hate to say this, but, the kind of head that will be most suitable for wildlife may not be suited to macro. Depending on which subject is going to be your main use, pick the right head. Personally, I use a head with 3 separate axes (Manfrotto 460RC) for macro, and a pan/tilt (Manfrotto 128RC) for long lens/digiscoping. Oh, and a 486RC ball head on my monopod. Horses for courses.
Old 15-06-07, 09:51

The other thing about the 190 is that it does not go all that high without raising the centre column which makes it more unstable so if you don't want a crick in your neck when shooting wildlife the 055 is better, the downside is of course it's heavier. I have been thinking about getting a carbon fibre 055 for ages but the money is the problem and of course persuading the wife I need another tripod when I already have a ''perfectly good one already that you have had for 30 years and you never use anyway''
Old 15-06-07, 17:30

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha im a decorator by trade, and am currently "doing" the kitchen, ive been giving her quotes for the work done but she"s having non of it, i"ll push for a tripod "payoff" lol ive just been looking at a web site and they said the 055 is for small to medium cameras! would it be "man" enough for the 350d and a weighty lens?
Serious? Me? Not in this lifetime.......

Last edited by crazee horse; 15-06-07 at 18:18.
Old 15-06-07, 23:56

My 055 plus RC128 head takes the weight of 20D 300mm F4 and x1.4TC with no problems ( combined weight about 2 kilo grammes ) or about 4.5 lb in old money.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated