WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

2x converters

Old 26-12-05, 18:25

Default 2x converters

Another, in probably a long list of questions down the road for my new dslr

Would someone who uses a 2x converter with their lens post a shot of the setup and could you also tell me how stable the hook-up is. Is it then relegated to a tripod situation or can you easily hand hold?
Old 26-12-05, 18:37
Admin

From a physical stability aspect, there's no issue as such... you should be supporting the lens with one hand anyway when taking a shot. Otherwise it should all be quite solid.
Obviously from an image stability aspect, you will be needing a tripod for the best results... though it depends upon the lens and it's light gathering ability.

There's the often quoted shutter-speed vs focal length rule for handholding lenses... total 500mm = 1/500 sec, not written in stone (some people will need faster, some a bit less) but a good guide. The dslr crop factor needs to be taken into accout as well
Old 26-12-05, 18:39

KC,

The lens hookup is as good as the body itself. I mean its just like attaching the lens to the body as the lens side of the teleconvertor has an identical mount as the body. A 200mm lens will be 400mm at 2X so your minimum shutter speed should also double.

The biggest consideration of any teleconvertor is the light loss a 2X TC (teleconvertor) will lose 2 f-stops because it is creating a much larger light circle in the camera. On a sunny day it should not be a problem.

I have a 1.7X TC on a 200-400VR lens and at 400mm on a monopod I cannot keep the image still so I need real fast shutter speeds such as 1/2000 as a precaution against blur.
Old 26-12-05, 18:43
Admin

It depends upon what lens you will be using but I'd suggest using a 1.4x teleconverter, especially on a zoom lens... you really need the very best glassware in front of a 2x.
Old 26-12-05, 20:31

Thanks guys. It's like learning all over again but I am enjoying the process
Old 27-12-05, 01:04

I find that if using the 2x I need to use a tripod,as manual focus is needed,and it is difficult to manual focus and keep the camera really steady.But using the 1x4 is a cinch as it uses auto focus.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 27-12-05, 01:18

Thanks Christine. I appreciate your feedback. Next thing on my list to purchase. Bad news for me is that my mail order camera store is now allowing no interest payments if you pay off your purchase in three months. This hobby can only drive me to the poor house
Old 27-12-05, 02:59

My set up: KM Maxxum 7D, KM 80-200/2.8 APO G, Kenko Pro 300 2x TC.

Without good sunlight I had to manual focus. With good light auto focus was OK. No tripod needed, built in stabilization. All metal mounts, no problems with the physical hook-up.

bluebird11 Large Web view.jpg
1/1000, F8, 200mm x 2= 400mm.

Pat
Kenko Pro 300 2x
Old 27-12-05, 04:06

Thanks Pat. That's a nice shot of the Bluebird.
Old 27-12-05, 08:33

I regularly stick my cheap [ish] 2x on my Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 and have no problems with AF [this being the old push/pull lens is'nt that fast to AF but the 2x does'nt really make much difference]. My reasoning for swapping my Sigma 135-400 for this set up was the advantage of having the option of f2.8 - without the T/C fitted - for the winter months. If you're going to be using the converter for most of the time then you might as well go for a longer lens in the first place. Not quite the same options with Nikon as you have with Canon but there are still several sigmas to consider. I did stick a 1.4x on a 70-300mm when I had a Canon 10D but to be honest, the extra was'nt really worth the iffy AF.