WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Equipment Reviews

Equipment Reviews Post a review of your equipment in here

Fuji S2 Pro

Old 15-12-05, 10:48
Admin

Default Fuji S2 Pro

Not a conventional choice but a DSLR that has a proven record as far as quality of image is concerned, the upper body is basically a Nikon F80, whilst power and internals are Fuji. Works with almost any Nikon lens you can think of, though metering is lacking when used with some older Nikon lens. Amazingly, this camera is more compatable with Nikon flash guns than most current Nikon cameras.... utilising features that Nikon have implemented in their flashes but haven't enabled in their cameras.
51s2-frontleft.jpg

No question in my mind that Fuji's Super CCD (when set to deliver 12mp images)is resolving more detail than any other 6mp dslr, I've interpolated test images from the competing cameras to ascertain if Fuji's hype is justified, and it is (it is purely hype on most Fuji cameras though).... The S2 isn't producing genuine 12mp but does resolve detail that many feel equates to roughly 8-9mp.
Noise levels are very very low, even compared to modern cmos designs. More than capable at iso800 and 1600 with a bit of in-computer work (neatimage). Luma noise is very low at all 'speeds'vs competing cameras but chroma noise is evident at iso400+, also some strobing in very fine detail. I knew of latter when I purchased and knew it wouldn't be a problem with Quantum Mechanic 2 photoshop plug-in, and it hasn't turned out to be a problem.

Colour accuracy seems to be ahead of the competitors (which is why the camera is widely used by pro portrait photographers)...but I'm not sure it's a big deal with in-computer editing.

Metering is accurate, 2% spot-metering is a boon. EV increments are .5 rather than .33, which is a serious drawback, especially with digital and it's poor performance in exposure latitude.

The 2 frame per sec isn't the end of the world compared to 3 fps of the competing cameras, memory buffer will allow 7-8 shots in a burst and write time seems a lot faster than I was led to believe.

Lack of mirror lock-up is not deal. Other than the shutter-lag, this camera is every bit as responsive as the Nikon 35mm slr's that I have used in the past, when using prime lenses with built-in motors it is good and silent as anything around, managing to AF at f8 (f5.6 lens + 1.4 t.c.)given a bit of contrast to lock onto. Actual tracking of a subject with continuous AF isn't up to modern standards.

The Nikon MB16 battery pack can be used with a tiny modification (file!), but the life from 4x AA's (use 2200mah+ rechargeables)seems more than ample to me. Use of 2x CR123A batteries is a pain but they're not compulsory (but advisable), they last for ages if you don't use the built-in flash.

The shutter-release button is threaded for a cable-release, which is a rarity these days...but at leat you don't have to fork out for the manufacturers own remotes (which are often expensive, and in the case of Canon, very hard to find in stock)

Clearly out of production with the new S3 Pro available, but in some ways many of those who have moved to the S3 haves state a preferrence for the older S2.