WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Do you need an SLR??

Old 07-10-09, 20:02

In Amateur Photographer a week ago there was an article about Joe Cornish's new book on Scottish landscapes.Some of the pictures used in the book were shot with a Ricoh Caprio 100 compact as an alternative to his 5x4 Ebony.
Old 09-10-09, 09:30

'and to be realisitically and brutally honest, quite often it is the using of the equipment and taking of the photograph that generates as much pleasure, as getting the result'.
I'll go with that Joe..I recall back in 84 when I got my 1st SLR; Praktica MTL3 & showed it to a relative who degraded my camera by questioning my sanity for buying something that was not fully automatic..I enjoyed the 'fiddling' about & learning..
Al.
Old 09-10-09, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
to be realisitically and brutally honest, quite often it is the using of the equipment and taking of the photograph that generates as much pleasure, as getting the result.
Absolutely - there is a pleasure in using good tools whatever craft you are doing. I love the process of landscaping as well though - not just the use of the camera, but the the whole thing from looking at the map and weather forecast, working out light directions, timings for sunrise/set, finding the composition, being in the landscape waiting for the light... I find I appreciate the sense of place in a very different way from when I am walking or cycling. Climbing comes close - the is a very intense focus on your immediate surroundings there too, and long periods of stillness while belaying your partner up the climb that allow a similar connection to your surroundings.