WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Newbies first D-SLR

Old 20-08-06, 09:22

Default Newbies first D-SLR

Ok i want to really get into photography after reaching the lmits of my compact and seeing the great results that are possible with the big brother. At the moment I really like the Canon 350D and think it would be a great cmaera to start with it also beat the Nikon D50 in a recent magazine test. I want to be able to shoot a variety of shots without buying 458 lenses in the begining, mainly landscapes and wildlife. What do you guys reckon on the 350D - I dont really want to spend more than £500 right now (correction - my wife doesnt want me to! lol) and have found the 350D with two lenses for that amount which seems a bargain.
Old 20-08-06, 09:38

Firstly take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt. Some magazines are pro film others digital then we come to being Nikon or Canon supporters.

Whilst the D50 has a 6mp sensor and 350D an 8mp these numbers do not necessarily mean resolution, only a sample photo of a test card will confirm which camera will resolve a finer image. Both bodies are each manufacturers base model and each provide a good base into photography.

I would urge you to research lenses for each body as its the lens that will contribute more to photography than the camera. From your motivation I suggest something like a 28-200mm zoom and I also suggest a low cost 50mm f1.8 prime for indoor family stuff.

Take you time as this decision is important as you may find you will have to stick with either Nikon or Canon due to investment in lenses.

I know you may want pushing one way or another but it is you that will have to use the equipment so you should make that decision. I am sure both bodies will satisfy your photography interest.
Old 20-08-06, 11:20

I could not agree more about Stephen's comment about Magazine reviews. Some people become so polarized into one camp or the other. To be honest if you pick a Canon or a Nikon you can't go wrong. The extra resolution of the Canon is useful if you only use small crops. Otherwise I think the main difference between the bodies is that the Canon has DOF preview and the Nikon has Spot metering. So bodywise see which features suit your style of photography. You will see excellent results posted on here and birdforum for either camera.

As Stephen has pointed out too many people focus on the body before the lens when considering the first DSLR. You may also want to think about buying a body only and spending a bit more on the lens instead of buying a body and kit lens. Also think about other lens you may want to purchase at a later date. ( wife may permit some cash to the project on birthday and xmas )

If you tend to include buildings into your landscapes I would suggest a lens that is wider that 28mm as this is only slighty wider than a normal 50mm lens on a film camera. ( taking the 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor into account ).

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 20-08-06, 15:32

You first really need to look at the system as a whole, and the fact that you are choosing Canon or Nikon suggests you have already done so. I see no significant different between the two systems though others might disagree.

Camera wise, the 350D feels cheaper and more plasticky that the Nikon D50, but I doubt there is any real difference in toughness or quality. The 350D unlike the D50 has mirror lock up which I regard as near essential if you want to do macro or long lens photography. I had huge problems getting sharp images with an F80 and a 200mm lens as it had no MLU. The 350D also produces noticeably higher resolution images. I think I am correct in stating that it has the same sensor as the 30D, and that it is close in resolution to the Nikon D200. (According to dpreview tests and comments by Klaus Schroiff on Photo Zone.) So IMO the 350D is a noticeably better camera and were I to choose a system from scratch, then I would choose the 350D.

When I examined the two, I was struck by the small mirror in the 350D. So I would check the viewfinder if I were you as it might be dim. Mind you, the D70 viewfinder is awful, and I suspect the D50 is no better. I also think you should examine both cameras to determine how they feel to you. Do you like the shape? Do you like the controls? Canon tend to be a bit slower to operate as you need to use the menus, whereas Nikon tend to be more button oriented.

But the Nikon 17-80 kit lens is a bargain. I have heard that cheap Canon lenses are not so good. There are reliable lens tests on Photo Zone that should help you decide.

Whichever you choose, you will end up with a nice camera and hopefully you will enjoy playing with it for many years.

BTW I use Nikon and have never used Canon EOS. (I mention this so that you know where I am coming from.)

Leif
Old 20-08-06, 18:15

Both good cameras. Go to a shop and play with them and see which one seems more 'right' in your hands. Look at the new Nikon D80 as well if you can find one in stock. When covering your proposed subjects you will need wide angle and telephoto. Don't forget the crop factor of 1.6 for Canon and 1.5 for Nikon so 18mm becomes 28 on Canon and 27 on Nikon and 200mm becomes 320 and 300. An 18-200 zoom from Tamron or Sigma will cover 28-320 on the Canon and would be very convenient but both are slow lenses at the long end (f6.3) and with such a wide zoom range something has to give and the quality won't be quite as good as two separate lenses covering the same focal lengths. Still be good enough for modest enlargements. I would rather pay more for a good lens now and then wait a while and save for a good second lens covering the other focal lengths later. Bodies may come and go over the years but sound investment in the best optics you can afford now will do more to determine quality of results and save money in the long run as you won't have to change them in the future. Also don't rush to get everything at once, there will be a lot to learn going from a compact to an SLR to get the best results out of it. Get to grips with the effects of altering shutter speeds, apertures, focal length, and all the other things full control can give you. Learn to make the camera and the lens you buy for it really 'sing' by mastering it before rushing off into more lenses too early. Oops, I am going on a bit.
Old 20-08-06, 19:36

thanks guys this is really useful info. I think im going to go for the 350D body and get a couple of good lenses - not so good i get divorced but hell what she dont know about dont matter right! lol am i right in thinking that a prime lens is what I want for getting great portraits and then fastest zoom lens I can afford for general use? also will i be able to get decent macro shots with either of these type of lenses to start with?
Old 20-08-06, 21:31

For a portrait lens a 50mm f1.8 cost about £80 quid I think and although plastic gives suprisingly good results. With the crop factor becomes 80mm which is quite a nice focal length and the aperture is wide enough to give a narrow depth of field to blur background, The speed also is useful for moody available light shots and other dim conditions. Don't dismiss the 'standard' zoom you buy either as that incorporates all the classic focal lengths for portraiture i.e. 80-135 in 35mm terms. Zooms give about 1:4 for macro i.e. about 1/4 life size. For cheap macro try Kenko automatic extention tubes which with the 50mm standard lens will bring you up to 1:1 i.e. life size of surprisingly good quality for approx £100. Not as versatile as a proper macro lens nor will the edges be as sharp etc but for most subjects which are not flat you would never know. They can be used with the zoom lenses as well. Speed of lenses is a subject in itself but basically its a bit like pixel count, more is useful and tends to come with more upmarket equipment but is not the be all and end all.
Old 01-09-06, 07:36

Well thanks a lot guys you all really helped me there. I have ordered a 350D with the 18-55 and 55-200 lens and the battery grip. plus a manfrotto tripod and lowepro bag. So hopefully that should give me everything i need to start shooting away and get to grips with the camera before I start getting some decent lenses. Im starting a basic course in my local college in october too. I look forward to posting some pics and getting yet more pointers off you lot lol
Old 01-09-06, 09:19
Super Moderator

Hello affirmation, I must have missed you the first time round welcome to the forum. Thats a nice kit you have ordered there, you will be very pleased with it. We look forward to your first gallery postings.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 01-09-06, 22:51

You have made a good choice.The 350d is a great little camera.Very light to carry around and produces great images.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356