WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Is it ethical ? How far can one go?

Old 04-01-07, 13:32

My wife and I have both photgraphed dragonflies. We have never chilled the insects as we didn't realise that it was done. Using fiedcraft and patience (Trisha spent nearly five hours taking a series of photos of a dragonfly's emergence) is most rewarding and taking a chilled insect would seriously diminish the satisfaction. Although we couldn't define it, chilling would somehow be 'cheating'.
Old 04-01-07, 23:42

It seems from the majority of the comments from members that photographing the insect in natural settings is the most prefered method,being honest and beneficial means to the insects.

If we all take our images in this manner then both ourselves and our natural subjects are the winners!

Nogbad
Old 05-01-07, 15:24

I saw a lot of dragonfly photos last year on from a couple of people on a group that were absolutely stunning. Perfectly posed, superb lighting, background in balance with subject, great shadow details, little touches of water on wings etc, etc. One shot or maybe two a year, but week after week, image after image? However, they were done they were amazing images of natures beauty.

For myself I take what I see where I see it with the equipment I have. I find that in most cases, execept for some Hawkers that never bleedin well settle, one can get pretty close, at least to within a few inches, you can also shift your position too.

To each his/her own at least they aren't yanking out the critter's genitalia to determine ID.
Old 05-01-07, 18:21

Walwyn, your comments are valid and it is perfectly achievable to get excellent images just by stalking, being patient, and knowing your subject.

I find binoculars are a great way to watch insects, you can study their behaviour for a while especially as the majority are territorial. They often follow the same flight patterns land on the same branch, stalk or flower and so you can anticipate where they will land etc.

It is so much more preferable to catching the insects and removing them from their environment.

Nogbad
Old 06-01-07, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
I find that in most cases, execept for some Hawkers that never bleedin well settle, one can get pretty close, at least to within a few inches, you can also shift your position too.
I saw one beautiful photograph of a rare dragonfly (Emarald) taken by a well known pro who had watched the insect for over an hour, figured out that it would occasionally settle for a brief period on some vegetation, and then got the photo. Waiting several hours and/or luck seems to be the norm for the larger dragonflies.
Old 06-01-07, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl View Post
I appreciate this thread very much. I have never chilled an insect in order to photograph it but was considering doing so. I am rarely satisfied with my insect shots and read that many of the ones that I'm am envious of, were taken using the chill method. This thread has given me lots of food for thought.
I recommend Close-up on Insects by Robert Thompson. Beautiful pictures, useful information, and not one chilled insect.
Old 09-01-07, 02:13

I don't suppose birds are too fussy when it comes to taking insects for food, they don't have the luxury of scruples when it comes to survival. Millions are taken daily in their quest for food, especially during the breeding season. They don't care whether the insects being stressed or not, they don't care if it's a scarce species, if it's available then it's food!

Here's a photo of a male Stonechat with a Cream-spot Tiger Moth, (at least I think that's what it is), this bird and it's mate were in and out like yoyo's every few minutes, feeding their young with all different types of insect and other creepy crawlies. Photo was from the car window resting the lens on a bean bag.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stonechat male with Tiger Moth.jpg (190.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 14-01-07, 13:19

Since opening this thread I've read more of the book and Mr. Hoddinott does redeem himself, stressing that any harm or danger to any creature is not what photography is about, my words not his. After reading comments from others a link in the book that you may find interesting is www.butterfly-conservation.org. There are some points of interest for all with an interest in insects, even where to go to raise your own. (Just remember a divorce is most expensive .)

Ive learned from this thread, so a big thank you to all that contributed.

Regards, Dean.
Old 14-01-07, 17:15

Hi Dean glad you have learned something. I can recommend joining the BCS it is well worth it. They supply lots off info etc.

Nogbad
Old 01-03-07, 13:37

fishingruddy I understand what you feel..???
It is something like "what is life for one is food for others"
Personally speaking I won't do that..???