WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Nature Macro Photography with minimum equipments.

Old 16-03-06, 14:22

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I've had no luck using a Coolpix 4500 for macro. I haven't given up but it is one reason that I'm trying to figure a way to buy a DSLR.
Old 16-03-06, 14:54

I have only fairly recently upgraded to a dSLR and have thus far invested in longer lenses and associated kit for bird and mammal photography.

Previously I used a fuji s7000, which I've yet to sell. This I had great fun with particularly macro shots. In some cases I could focus close enough to almost touch the subject and the 12mp enhanced images were superb. I would highly recommend such a solution/camera to anyone on a stricter budget than the dSLR offers. The only down side I found was focussing, it was slower and due to having a digitial viewfinder not always as clear as an SLR in seeing correct image sharpness.

I can't yet justify the cost of a macro lens so for now I'm reduced to close up filters which I hope to put to use in the coming months - I hope with these I can get one or two decent images at least.
Old 16-03-06, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker
Bearing in mind the title of this thread, anyone with just a compact digital camera can get very satisfactory results from the very minimum of kit.

I've seen some very good shots from cameras such as the Nikon Coolpix 4500 and provided you don't want to make big enlargements or severe crops they may be all you require if you don't want to carry lots of kit around on a warm day. (In the UK most of the favourite nature macro subjects such as butterflies and dragonflies don't want to come out to play on cool, dull days, anyway!)

A couple of years ago I tried out a Sony W1 on a number of subjects and found that the lens did not give a very good image in macro at the telephoto end of the zoom but was much better at the wide angle end. This required getting extremely close to the subject in order to get a decent-sized image of the subject and in order to make sure I didn't over-shadow it I held the camera at arms' length.

It required a bit of practice and getting to know the limitations of your equipment is important but with practice I found it was easier to approach a lot of subjects like this rather than 'over-powering' them with your whole body behind a SLR camera.

Image below 'nabbed' from Birdforum to show a typical shot (note how depth of field is quite good over most of the wing due to the relatively small size of the aperture on a very short focal-length lens)
I used to take butterfly pictures with Sony DSC505 and like the results. But for small insects DSLR is much better.

The small insect (20mm) was taken with D50 + 60mm Nikkor macro lens. The butterfly was taken with Sony DSC505 many years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insect_8215.jpg (87.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 505-1 254w.jpg (58.7 KB, 15 views)