WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Computer power help needed.

Old 13-10-08, 12:59

Hi Saphire

If I were you I would be demanding either a new computer or your money back, but don't forget to tell them you want your personal data and photo's retrieving first.

Good luck!!!

nirofo.
Old 13-10-08, 14:15
Super Moderator

Nirofo, I have found out what the problem is through a process of elimination it has taken a long time to do but it is worth it.
Its the built in USB ports on the motherboard there is an intermittent fault on the ports.

I started of removing everything and just having the basic things plugged in monitor, keyboard and mouse, the machine booted fine. Then I slowly filled each usb port and on the last one would you believe, it failed to boot. I tried everything again changing ports for each item and for about an hour that port kept coming up with the problem but on the last try it worked fine and has done ever since. Now I know its a motherboard fault.
I am wondering whether the power to the ports is shorting or something and that is what is eventually corrupting the memory.

Now its trying to convince the shop thats its the motherboard.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 13-10-08, 14:27

Pleased to hear you've found the problem, I had a feeling it was your motherboard causing the problem! It may be that there's a bad solder joint between the USB socket and the board that could be shorting out when the device you plug into it tries to draw power, this could cause all sorts of nasty electronic things to happen on your motherboard and may be be the cause of your loss of memory. In any case you have a well documented case for either a new motherboard or a new computer from your supplier, stick to your guns and don't let them fob you off with the usual lame excuses. It's obvious that the computer is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold to you, in which case you have full consumer rights to demand satisfaction or your money back !!!

nirofo.
Old 13-10-08, 17:57
Super Moderator

We have been in touch with the shop and they said they can't just change the motherboard until they have done tests which may take upto 5 days. The problem is if the fault doesn't show I will be stuck with a machine that could fail again anytime. I wish I could still build my own but my eyesight won't let me anymore thats why I ended buying one already built
The thought of being computer less for a whole week will drive me mad.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 13-10-08, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
We have been in touch with the shop and they said they can't just change the motherboard until they have done tests which may take upto 5 days. The problem is if the fault doesn't show I will be stuck with a machine that could fail again anytime. I wish I could still build my own but my eyesight won't let me anymore thats why I ended buying one already built
The thought of being computer less for a whole week will drive me mad.
If you don't have any success with the shop I would gladly upgrade your computer for you, unfortunately I live in the north of scotland and carriage would probably be about £15 each way. In the meantime I would continue to harass the shop and insist that they put it right for you one way or another, I suppose you will have to allow them some time to test the computer first though.

nirofo.
Old 14-10-08, 15:26
Super Moderator

Thank you for the vey kind offer nirofo. Until last year I built loads of machines for myself, family and friends so I am finding it very frustrating not being able to do it myself. When I spoke to tech support last week and he asked me to swap the memory modules over I couldn't relocate the slot because I couldn't see it, I was getting really annoyed with myself.

We are taking the machine in tomorrow and don't expect to see it again until sometime next week, maybe longer. Mario asked if he could book a time to take it in but the support chap said he didn't know when he would be able to get around to looking at it to run the tests, he then put the phone down on Mario.

We know its a faulty motherboard with something wrong with the USB. Going through three pair of memory in 11 months and now the processor is only running on one core. The shop said they have to run thorough tests before they would consider changing the motherboard. I am just hoping they don't corrupt the hardisk messing around.

Old 15-10-08, 14:41
Super Moderator

Computer has now gone in for repair, how long it will take I have no idea. I am using Mario's computer at the moment because he didn't want to be in the same room with me pacing the floor and twiddling my thumbs. Hopefully I don't download any viruses I can't get AVG to update.

Old 17-10-08, 02:36

Hi Saphire

Just a tip you might find useful, if you're having dificulty seeing things very close to you there may be a work round for you! Nip into Boots or one of the stores that sell the cheap reading specs, they're usually on racks of some sort. Try on various strength glasses on top of your own reading glasses, try looking at various subjects very close to you, (your normal close working distance) until you find a strength that allow you to focus at that distance. This was a tip I got from an optician when I asked him if he could make me a pair of glasses for extra close up work, said he shouldn't be telling me this as he was doing himself out of a potential sale. I find them very useful when doing fiddly electronic component soldering. Don't forget to take them off when you finish the job or you might break your neck when you trip over the rug that you couldn't see!

nirofo.
Old 17-10-08, 10:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Hi Saphire

Just a tip you might find useful, if you're having dificulty seeing things very close to you there may be a work round for you! Nip into Boots or one of the stores that sell the cheap reading specs, they're usually on racks of some sort. Try on various strength glasses on top of your own reading glasses, try looking at various subjects very close to you, (your normal close working distance) until you find a strength that allow you to focus at that distance. This was a tip I got from an optician when I asked him if he could make me a pair of glasses for extra close up work, said he shouldn't be telling me this as he was doing himself out of a potential sale. I find them very useful when doing fiddly electronic component soldering. Don't forget to take them off when you finish the job or you might break your neck when you trip over the rug that you couldn't see!

nirofo.
Thanks again nirofo, I do have all sorts of gadgets now to help included 10x power magnifiers but it doesn't help not having any central vision, only periferal vision left. Its more difficult with close work. It won't be long before I will have start using the screen reader on the computer. I knew this could happen but not so soon. Its a good job I can sort of touch type otherwise you wouldn't be able to read this, so you will have to forgive me for any spelling mistakes, my mind works faster than my typing. My photography is difficult, I have to use AF for everything now so when I get good sharp photos I am thrilled, thats why I don't post as many photos as I used to. I am still looking forward to the next new camera, hopefully in a few weeks, I still have to get more brownie points.

Old 17-10-08, 12:35

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Sorry you are having so much trouble, Christine.
Your computer problem reminds me somewhat of my minor problem. My computer won't boot if my printer is turned on. The printer is plugged in to a USB port. I only reboot my computer when I have to so it's not a major issue for me.