WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Off-camera speedlite not synching?!

Old 01-03-15, 22:42

Unhappy Off-camera speedlite not synching?!

Using Canon 7D & 580EX with Phottix Strato wireless remotes (plus Godox AS360 separately). All on manual settings.
Taken light meter reading saying ISO 200 1/250 f4. Fine. 580EX running 1/8.
But when I trigger the flash the camera shows no light received!
I turned the flash DIRECTLY into (just off) the lens and fired - still nothing captured (? should be blown out!).
Got same result when using my spare 40D.
Turn down settings ISO 640 1/1 f4 and I just capture ceiling lights, still no flash (???).
If I remove Phottix and use canon off-camera cable to 580EX I get flash light and when pointed directly at camera I capture flash with light, and slower camera speed gives blow out.
No issue when using the AD360 and it's remote triggers and same power/camera settings.

What the hell's going on with my flash when I'm using the triggers?

Any advice would be really welcomed!
Old 04-03-15, 22:27

Default update

Well after lots of playing around it turns out that by using the Phottix transmitter off camera (e.g. so I can take self portraits), with receiver #1 cabled to camera's sync port & receiver #2 into the Speedlite, there is an impact on firing.
Looks like flash fires before camera (since I just cannot capture the flash regardless of reducing camera speed).
IF I put transmitter in camera hotshoe (so just have 580EX receiving) flash fires perfectly and blows image.

Guess I'll have to rethink the off-camera triggering

Tags
580ex, flash