WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Insurance

Old 15-11-09, 21:10

Default Insurance

I've recently bought a new D300 and am looking for insurance. They all tell us that they are the best but who do you trust? Any good suggestions anyone?
Thanks
Steve
Old 18-11-09, 14:28

Default hi

You have a nice camera and it is understandable that you want insurance. However, the camera insurance is often lost money. When you drop the camera, which is by far the main way to lose your camera, they generally won't pay you. I have several cameras and never used insurance.
Old 18-11-09, 20:07

When I first starting looking at this the most common advice was check what you have already got under your home contents. In my case - with one of the high street providers the answer was not a lot so I did some research. In particular I was interested in cover for camera/optics stolen from an unattended car as most home policies are limited to £1000.

Best result I found was Home and Contents from Hiscox who offered better cover including "new for old", world wide as standard, no individual listing for items under £15k and upto to £2.5K for that unattended car. The online quote was quick and easy - and it came to less than my high street provider So I switched.

I've only had to claim once for water damage from a broken pipe. It couldn't have been better handled. 1 Phone call for approval, no claim form required, sent them the workmans invoice and the money was in my bank 2 days later.

ps: I case you were wondering I don't work for them.
Old 18-11-09, 21:21

That looks good, will look into it. Many thanks.
Steve
Old 08-12-09, 09:16

I've just noticed this thread (I spend 99% of time of the Bird Forum) so might be too late for you.
I have an expensive lense (Canon 500f4) so I contacted my home insurer-they were by far the cheapest SO LONG AS ITS NOT PROFESSIONAL USE!
Its at least worth asking your normal insurer the question.

www.thenatureofphotography.co.uk
Old 09-12-09, 02:44

I used to use independant professional insurers for my camera equipment, that is until the amount they wanted to charge for what was in effect minimal cover went through the roof. I contacted my home insurance company and told them what I was looking for, the result was I beacame fully insured for all my photo equipment including Nikon 500 f4, projectors, laptop, new for old, at home or abroad, theft from car etc, and my home premium only went up by £17 a year. Try your household insurers first, tell them exactly what you need cover for, you may be pleasantly surprised.

nirofo.
Old 13-12-09, 18:47

Default In further praise of Hiscox Insurance

About 2 weeks ago in the dark and wet I grabbed my camera bag off the back seat of the car without checking it was properly zipped up. The result was my E30 with 50-200 attached and my 12-60 all hit the road. After some very choice words at my own stupidity I got it inside and other than a dink in the lens hood and a small scrape on the memory card door it was un-marked and also appeared to work OK which says something for Olympus build quality.

Notwithstanding, a few test shots in the daylight the following morning suggested that the lens were not quite as sharp as they should be. I rang Hiscox. "Yes of course your fully covered Mr G - just send it all to Olympus and we'll see what they recommend" 4 days later Olympus wrote back with a quote for £420 to fully overhaul all 3 pieces.

I rang Hiscox. "Thats fine Mr G - I'm afraid we have to deduct the excess but I will put the balance into your account now" And they did. No claim form - no nothing. They didn't even want to see the quote from Olympus - they just paid out. OK, its not a fortune and I've been with them for 5 years but even so you don't get that sort of service from many people. I now just have to hope that the Olympus technicians are as efficient.

So next time you need to renew - check em out cos in my humble opinion - they're brilliant!!