WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Is this lighting kit OK for starters?

Old 20-10-08, 12:30

Default Is this lighting kit OK for starters?

Having listened to the advice offered I am thinking of the following starter kit but have a couple of questions I would appreciate your thoughts on:-
UMRELLA OR SOFT BOX?
Is one better than the other?
Why one of each i.e. why not 2 umbrallas or 2 soft boxes?

Is the lighting in this kit powerful enough (room is only 3600mm long).

PROLINE KIT-1 X umbrella 1x softbox 2x stands 2x 180W flash
Specifications
Output: 2 x 180 w/s
Guide Number: 35GN
Recharge Time: 3.0 sec
Colour Temp: 5500 K
Power Control: Full to 1/8 fully variable
Modelling Lamp: 50W
Flash Duration: 1/1000 sec
Triggering Methods: Slave / Infrared / Sync / Test
User Replaceable Flash Bulbs: Yes
Sync Voltage: 6V DC
Price is £237.00-are there any better value kits available?
Thanks in advance
Old 20-10-08, 13:16

Umbrellas give different effects to soft boxes. A soft box, not surprisingly, gives a softer lighting effect. A brolly can still give edges to the lighting. I suspect the kit you mention is supplied with one of each so you can access either lighting effect, depending on what you want to do. Adding another soft box or brolly at a later date is quite cheap, the one of each approach will probably have been taken to keep the starter kit costs down. Which one is "better" depends entirely on the end result you are trying to achieve.
Old 20-10-08, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Umbrellas give different effects to soft boxes. A soft box, not surprisingly, gives a softer lighting effect. A brolly can still give edges to the lighting. I suspect the kit you mention is supplied with one of each so you can access either lighting effect, depending on what you want to do. .
One thing I can't grasp (I know it will become clear as I experiment) is-if it needs 2 light sources and the umbrella & softbox have different qualities-why do they mix them as against 2 x umbrellas or 2x softboxes ?
Would 2 x sofboxes be better than 1 of each??
Old 20-10-08, 17:58

Because you might want one umbrella on one side, and one softbox on another. There are kits out there that come with 2x brollies or 2x softboxes. If that's what you want then get one of those. At the price you are buying, you cannot expect every option under the sun to be available.

If you've never done this kind of thing before, I'm guessing you haven't, then working with one light source to begin with is probably a wise move. Work with one, either brolly or softbox to begin with, before you decide which lighting effect you want, and only hen start working with two light sources.

Balancing two lights is tricky. Walk before you run.
Old 25-10-08, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
....................... If you've never done this kind of thing before, I'm guessing you haven't, then working with one light source to begin with is probably a wise move. Work with one, either brolly or softbox to begin with, before you decide which lighting effect you want, and only hen start working with two light sources.

Balancing two lights is tricky. Walk before you run.
I'll agree with that.

I have just been in another thread, and Joe posted an interesting link. A short movie Quick Video 2 , Umbrella or Softbox in the Photo Studio?
that you might find helpful.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQeBV...eature=channel

Don
Old 26-10-08, 20:39

Hi David, check the other movies the guy on youTube has done too. Lighting technique is way easier to understand when you see the kit and set up, seeing the light so to speak.
One thing worth loads to any studio kit (or outdoor photographer for that matter) is a portable reflector. They are really cheap, and help loads, and can depending on how it's used, give the effect of another balanced light. way easier to use too!
Think it was an ex teacher that once gave me a golden rule...keep it simple, unless the situation really calls for extra kit, or you really just want to confuse yourself!

Looks a good value kit you have listed.
The lights are ample strong enough.

good luck
Old 27-10-08, 09:16

Thanks again to all.
The video was excellent so I looked at this web site-plenty of good advice/tips on there.
I will buy the kit with umbrella & soft box as it's a good deal and will allow me to experiment with both or just 'one or the other'.
A good reflector also.

Out of interest-the soft box that comes with it is very fiddly to erect. I have seen the 'pop up' type advertised but the one I saw was SO EXPENSIVE-any one know a 'pop up' at a resonable price?