WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon beats Nikon in New York

Old 30-05-10, 22:24

Yes indeed Andy you are a fine man of the cloth, you must be as you appreciate real ale and single malt. No finer praise than that, in fact I will even forgive you being a Nikon man, just shows your human failings.
Ah Leica Alex. Mechanical perfection and optics as good as it gets.Then came digital so still superb optics but Panasonic innards. Panasonic is Panasonic innards with Leica lenses so what is the difference? A name badge and a wad of money! Well at least for the lower end stuff, even the more expensive stuff will be largely Panasonic innards as Leica is just not financially up to all it's own electronic development in the fast moving digital world which has seen the demise of some superb quality manufacturers. Contax and Bronica to name just two.
Old 31-05-10, 14:45

Contax, Bronica, Yashica and Rollei died. Then there are those clinging on by the skin of their teeth: Minox, Hasselblad, Voigtlander and Mamiya.
Old 31-05-10, 15:17

Don't forget Minolta too who were superb and at one time lead the pack when autofocus first came in. I know that Sony took them over so in one sense they morphed but the original is gone. No chance me getting a updated driver for my Minolta film scanner so it will run on Windows 7 then. Rollei started to fade as soon as their TLR's and subsequently other medium format gear struggled in a fairly crowded market place which was rather niche after 35mm film improved so much. Story of many other things like cars for instance. Magnificent names from the past long gone. Ah well, that's life, as I said earlier you needs lots of money to keep up with the fast changing field of the electronics.
Old 29-06-10, 20:35

Lets face it all the cameras that are produced today will either suit you or not, I have just sold my Olympus gear, not because it was bad but because I could not get longer lenses in my price range or the weight , Olympus 90-250 f2.8 £4700 in the UK and weight 3.270Kg enough to make your eyes water twice, a terrific lens but---------------.
I now use Sony a new A-550, all the lenses I could wish for and at sensible prices, I bought a Sigma “Bigma” 50-500mm for under £450 and that is excellent and for lighter work a new Sony 70-300mm SSM lens, that is the best 70-300 I have ever used, sharp even wide open.
So it just goes to show I would not in future be swayed by what it says on the front of a camera, it is what suit you, and your pocket!
Regards
Richard