WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

WINDOWS 10 Advice Please

Old 02-07-16, 15:24

We're now into July, last chance this month for the free upgrade, anyone installed it who loves it/hates it ??
Old 02-07-16, 16:57

I'm half and half. My home computer is back on W7 it was slow and bogged down on W10. My net book that I take out is fine on 10 and I am happy to leave it with W10.
Personal feeling is W7 is better on a computer and W10 on net books.
Old 02-07-16, 21:08

I've been running Win 10 as an insider from the start, but to be on the safe side I've kept my Win 7 up and running and also have a cloned version of Win 10 which I keep one update behind the other. I switch over to Win 7 once a week, but must admit to feeling a little lost when I do so. Apart from Microsoft being able to know everything you do I'm very happy with Win 10. I'm on V1607, build 14379. I will still keep my Win 7 for some time yet, but it's doubtful I will keep it permanently. Plenty of problem initially with drivers, but all is OK now.
Old 03-07-16, 09:31

I like it mostly - sometimes find it slows horrendously while doing updates that it hasn't given me notice of. (ofwhich it hasn't given me notice sorry sir) Don't know where it is with back ups so seperately back up my most important stuff ie photographs. Stiil occasionally indicates driver conflict on start up - big red button and start again sorts it.
Old 03-07-16, 15:13

Peter it's strange that you say Win 10 does not give you notice of updates. This should always display in 'Settings' where you can set up the update to the time/date you want. As an insider over the past few weeks I've had several updates, but have always been notified in Setting. For backing up I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper freeware, but here's a full description of how to use Win 10 for backing up files or indeed a system image.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...ws-10-3635397/

Harry
Old 04-07-16, 14:50

Thanks Harry I'd been geting a little slack in my attention to the PC.
Now turned on "Notify updates" and revised my back up options.
Old 04-07-16, 15:09

People I know have changed to Window 10 and complain constantly about it - so I'm sticking with what I know. Windows 7
Old 04-07-16, 20:19

My home machine is still Windows 7.

My 18 month old work machine came with Windows 8 and I resisted for a long time before upgrading to 10. The main complaint which seems to be common is the menu and task bar freeze and as of yet not seen any solution for it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 12-07-16, 19:42

Default Windows 10 etc

We are running 2 Windows 8 computers, made to mimic Windows 7 (Skip Metro Suite and Classic Shell) and both are running fine. I keep both up to date with AV (Avast) and Anti malware (Zemana) and do weekly backups (separate hard drives) and do any software updates as available if they are of use to me. Here's where the cat gets amongst the pigeons-I never do Windows updates! I know people will say this is stupid but I've never had a problem and if you take the time to read what the updates are actually about, some of them are absurd.I've had more problems when I used to install them than I ever have when not doing them (and I've been using Windows since V3.11 (if you remember that!). I've no intention of upgrading to any newer versions of Windows at present. If I have to buy a new computer in the future and it comes with Windows 10/11/12 whatever then I'll put up with it. In a nutshell, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 19-08-16, 15:20

Bought a new Dell computer about 2 months ago and it came with Windows 10. I find it takes a bit of getting used to, ie, finding where things are. I think that windows 10 system is far to complicated when it does not need to be. My old computer was a Windows XP which I found was very easy to use. Why could the XP system not been brought up to-date, and made more secure. Also I find there are lots of Apps on this computer that I don't use or want to use but wonder if deleting them will cos any problems. I would say to anybody buying a new computer if you don't want or need Windows 10 try and get another system or even a Mac. I am getting used to it now but it takes a lot of time to do so.