WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon 20d

Old 05-11-06, 16:08

Default Canon 20d

Hi
I've got the chance to buy a brand new Canon 20D complete with standard lens for £600.00. Not knowing very much about this camera can anyone tell me if this a deal not to be missed and how the camera rates. I know it is a discontinued product now but as I was originally thinking to buy the Nikon D80I'm now not sure what to do. Any views/pointers would be gratefully welcome.

Lello
Old 05-11-06, 17:28

The 20D is a superb camera but the standard zoom, if thats the one you mean, is not very impressive. I love my 20D but somewhat reluctantly feel that the Nikon D80 is the better buy. I am waiting to see what Canon will come up with as a 30D replacement which will no doubt have sensor cleaning built in among other improvements- just don't tell my wife!
Old 05-11-06, 17:51

It is the Standard zoom lens, I think for the money (£600) I might as well wait till the January sales and see what sort of price I can get the D80 for. hopefully just a "body only" might be round about £500 (the D80 is now about £550) and with a little extra cash I might be able to buy a half decent zoom lens as well.
Old 05-11-06, 17:58

Like Mike I'm putting my pennies away for the 30D replacement once the price has dropped. Lello it maybe worth waiting untill after the Jan Sales. I've noticed that camera prices drop steadily for about 5-6 months from release.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 05-11-06, 18:00

Yep, that sounds the best idea. The D80 is the best ''budget'' buy at the moment according to all the revues I've read. I'm only reluctant to say buy Nikon 'cos I'm a Canon man but have to admit it's the best at the moment.
Old 05-11-06, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Like Mike I'm putting my pennies away for the 30D replacement once the price has dropped. Lello it maybe worth waiting until after the Jan Sales. I've noticed that camera prices drop steadily for about 5-6 months from release.
The 30D replacement might be more than I want to spend,
I have been out looking and playing with the Canon 400D and the Nikon D80 over the last couple of weeks, And I just don't like the feel of the 400D, It seems to small for my hands (just doesn't feel right for me)
Like I said earlier, I found a 20D today and I liked the feel of that, It felt a bit like the D80, comfortable and solid. That's why I asked if £600 was a good price, But having come home and thinking about it, do I really want to buy a camara that is now about 2 years old! Hence my choice for the D80. I haven't
yet played with the 30D, Maybe if it has the feel of the 20D and the price comes down after the launch of the replacement then I might change my mind again. (I was indecisive but now I'm not sure )
Old 05-11-06, 22:44

20D is a very good camera set the mark in time and yes its not the newest technology in todays market, though and adequate machine for years to come. Apart from larger LCD and spot metering, not much is different between the 20D and 30D. I guess you got a very good advise from miketoll. If you can wait a bit more, you should be able to get the new body replacement for 20D. Your other options are to get 20D that its price is dropped due to existence of 30D and once a newer one is out, you can dispose it at slight loss, and Canon usually keeps its price. The other option is of course 80D considering that you're no more with canon's glass and products.
Well its hard but you're the one that should make the final decision and remember as long as you have your money in your pocket, you have the easy buying power. Make the one decision that keeps you happiest and no mater what, waiting and refrain form impulsive decisions works perfectly in your favor.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 05-11-06, 23:32

Lots of 20D bodies available used.It is a great cam.Why not check out the 400D,body only.When I went to buy the 350D,there were so many negative comments re the build of the camera,and the small grip etc,but it turned out to be one of the top selling cameras ,along with the 20D.I have both these cams.If I were choosing a cam now,I would maybe go for the 400D body only,or a 20D (body only) and spend the surplus cash on a better lens.One can have a top of the range cam,but if you do not have a decent lens,then your money is wasted.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 06-11-06, 00:20

Thanks for all your feedback, Sassan,you're right in what you say about impulsive buying, I was so close to buying the 20D today my hand was getting the plastic out when my wife asked what I knew about the 20d and I came to my senses with a start, came home and started reading reviews and posting this thread and realized that it had been discontinued so I was so glad my wife stopped me doing something I might have regretted. Christine, When I first heard and read about the 400D It was the cam I was going to buy It's only when Don said I needed to play with it and feel it I realized It was not for me (Doesn't feel right) as much as I thought it was going to be my first D SLR cam, Unfortunately the 400D is not for me. At the moment as Sassan said my money is in my pocket I'm happy with my Pana FZ30 at the moment and I'm willing to wait and assess the situation in the new year.
Then it will either be the D80 or the 30D (if the 30D comes down in price)
Thanks again for your feedback
Old 06-11-06, 09:07

Ive been to have a play with a D80 in a shop and i realy like it. The first thing i noticed was the weight of it, it is noticably heavier than my D50. The focus is good and fast and does not hunt it seemed during about 20 mins of playing (the shop staff are so helpfull there). Im going to go back this week with one of my lenses and see if i can see a speed difference in it compared to my D50.