WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

First camera

Old 13-11-11, 15:54

Default First camera

I have joined this forum for more experienced opinions, I am wanting to buy my first camera, I don't lik compacts, they are too small, fiddly and I find them much harder to use in general, I would like to go for a DSLR.

The cameras I have chosen are Sony Alpha a55 :: Sony Alpha a65 :: Canon EOS 600D

I like the canon but the sony cameras are supposed to be amazing, I am also seriously basing this choice on the range of lenses/ features in the camera/ accessories available for each one, and the overall ease of use and picture/camera/lens quality.

Hope you can help...

Thanks and All the Best

James
Old 13-11-11, 16:05
Super Moderator

I don't know much about the Sonys but I have used the Canon (I use a Canon myself) and it is very good. Being honest there isn't a bad DSLR out there, all off the current models are very capable. The best thing to do is to try them for yourself and see which suits you - I love my Canons but find the Sonys very awkward in the hand. As for lens selection, Canon have the widest range available and also one of the easist to buy secondhand lenses for.
Old 13-11-11, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
I don't know much about the Sonys but I have used the Canon (I use a Canon myself) and it is very good. Being honest there isn't a bad DSLR out there, all off the current models are very capable. The best thing to do is to try them for yourself and see which suits you - I love my Canons but find the Sonys very awkward in the hand. As for lens selection, Canon have the widest range available and also one of the easist to buy secondhand lenses for.
Thanks, I should be going to a phtography shop next week, so hopefully I'll be allowed to try out the cameras, then I can choose really which one feels best for me, I have spoken to a few different people, hardly any could say much about the sony, it seems that people prefer going for the more established makes? (canon/nikon) I think Sony are relatively new in cameras...

All the Best

James
Old 13-11-11, 18:22

Sony took over Minolta some years back and have been developing apace since. The area they are making most impact in is the so called mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras. As Peter says Canon DSLR's have the widest selection of lenses and probably accessories too plus the very real advantage, along with Nikon, that independent lens makers always make their lenses available in Canon.
I too love my Canon but it is so important to try out the cameras you are interested in so do so before making a decision. Look at Nikon too to be fair.
Old 13-11-11, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Sony took over Minolta some years back and have been developing apace since. The area they are making most impact in is the so called mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras. As Peter says Canon DSLR's have the widest selection of lenses and probably accessories too plus the very real advantage, along with Nikon, that independent lens makers always make their lenses available in Canon.
I too love my Canon but it is so important to try out the cameras you are interested in so do so before making a decision. Look at Nikon too to be fair.
Thanks, I will be going to a shop on saturday next week to have a look at the cameras, don't know why I haven't yet looked at any nikon cameras, I will have to look at a few and choose one, then make a comparison.

Thanks again and All the Best

James
Old 14-11-11, 08:22

This is only my experience; other people may have different experiences. I bought a Sony α350 in January 2009. It came with two kit lenses, an 18 to 70 mm and a 55 to 200. The body was built in Japan, the lenses were built in China.

Although it didn’t have all the functions that a Canon or Nikon could offer, I was pleased with the body and with the photographs I was getting.

In June 2010 the 18 to 70 mm lens started making loud mechanical noises; the plastic gear ring for focussing required replacement.

In May this year it started making the same noises as did the 55 to 200 mm lens, which had had a lot less use.

I decided to replace the lot and bought a Canon 60D with a couple of lenses that each cost more than the entire Sony kit. Since then I have probably taken more photographs with the Canon than I did with the Sony, without any problems.

Possibly Sony has improved their quality control, but it was clear when I took my lens in for repair that it wasn’t the first that they had seen and that they knew exactly what was the problem.
Old 14-11-11, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangata View Post
This is only my experience; other people may have different experiences. I bought a Sony α350 in January 2009. It came with two kit lenses, an 18 to 70 mm and a 55 to 200. The body was built in Japan, the lenses were built in China.

Although it didn’t have all the functions that a Canon or Nikon could offer, I was pleased with the body and with the photographs I was getting.

In June 2010 the 18 to 70 mm lens started making loud mechanical noises; the plastic gear ring for focusing required replacement.

In May this year it started making the same noises as did the 55 to 200 mm lens, which had had a lot less use.

I decided to replace the lot and bought a Canon 60D with a couple of lenses that each cost more than the entire Sony kit. Since then I have probably taken more photographs with the Canon than I did with the Sony, without any problems.

Possibly Sony has improved their quality control, but it was clear when I took my lens in for repair that it wasn’t the first that they had seen and that they knew exactly what was the problem.
Thanks, definitely don't want that experience, although it may not happen if I bought from Sony, it is a risk...I won't have enough money to replace lenses or to repair them after buying the camera, a couple of lenses and accessories.

The Canon 60D was the camera I originally looked at, but given the price, I decided I may want to start cheaper then upgrade if I wanted to.

I really appreciate your reply, it has made me think a lot more about my choice, I am now certain that Canon will always have the better build quality.

Just out of interest, seeing as you have the 60D, do you think it is worth buying the battery grip for this camera? If I am lucky enough to buy a camera (possibly 60D). I am going to Iceland next year and would like to know if I will be better/easier to either carry a spare battery or two, or buy the grip, it isn't too expensive. I like the extra shutter button feature and it has it's own controls, so based on this, what do you think?

Thanks and All the Best

James
Old 15-11-11, 03:45

Hi James,

I bought the Sony on impulse; I had been concentrating on video for a few years and was wondering whether I wanted to get back into still photography. The relatively cheap Sony was a way of finding out.

I must stress that I had no issues with the body, only with the Chinese built lenses. The “kit” lenses I bought may not reflect the build quality of their other lenses. It might be worth checking where the lenses you are interested in are manufactured.

With regard to batteries for the Canon, I have one Canon battery and one cheaper battery. I estimate that I get around 450 photographs from the Canon battery, less from the cheaper battery.

I don’t use a lot of flash, almost always use the eye piece and don’t shoot video. But I do download directly from the camera to a computer which takes power from the battery.

However, I have been photographing in Sicily, Malta, Italy, Morocco and India which are notably warmer than Iceland! I am off to Harbin for the ice festival in January and will be interested to see how the low temperatures affect battery life.

I carry the spare battery and a spare card in a Black Rapid sling and have never had to stop shooting because I have flattened both batteries or filled both cards.

Since getting the Canon I’ve taken in excess of 6,000 photographs and I’m more than pleased with the results. There is a fairly steep learning curve with the 60D, I found Charlotte Lowrie’s “Digital Field Guide to the 60D” invaluable. It now lives in the bottom of my camera bag.
Old 15-11-11, 08:39

I always carry a spare battery, to me an absolute must as if it runs out that is your shooting done for the day! Had that happen once and of course it was a perfect day for shooting and there was me wandering round with a lifeless camera and feeling proper miserable. Always carry a spare card too and have needed that too on occasion. I always upload photos to the computer using a card reader, easy and cheap
As far as Iceland is concerned it is not that cold in the summer and even if it is very cold I would rather have any spare battery keeping warm in my clothing. Battery grips are rather personal in that I would not want the extra bulk and weight. Apart from giving you more shots without changing batteries the only real advantage is a firing button for use when using portrait orientation. No big deal to me.
I am sure you will love Iceland, it is a truly beautiful country with amazing scenery.

Last edited by miketoll; 15-11-11 at 08:48.
Old 16-11-11, 13:45

When you eventually buy your camera consider what lens are best for you. I use a Tamron 18-200mm as a good walk about lens. I find this is a good all round lens at a reasonable price if you are working to a budget.