WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

New camera

Old 18-11-11, 15:40

Question New camera

I have persueded my lovely wife that its time to upgrade my camera which is a Nikon D80. She said ok I will buy it for you as Christmas is coming. I will be sticking with Nikon but not sure whether to go for full frame which would mean investing in new glass as well. Its aa nice dilema to have but was wondering what others would do if in a similar situation. Whatever I decide to go for I will be keeping the D80 as a backup. My choice of would be a D700. What would you wish for.
Old 18-11-11, 16:07
Super Moderator

Well as a Canon shooter I don't know much about the Nikon line up, but I do know that I wouldn't say no to a D700 it is an excellent camera.
Old 18-11-11, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Well as a Canon shooter I don't know much about the Nikon line up, but I do know that I wouldn't say no to a D700 it is an excellent camera.
I agree the D700 is a great camera but am not sure I need full frame or not but would like the noise handling capability though and would have to invest in new lenses.
Old 18-11-11, 19:08
Super Moderator

Full frame is an odd one - some people seem to think that it will give totally different results or that it is the magic solution to photographic problems. If you like shallow DOF shots then a full frame camera will allow you to take this to the extreme if used with a really fast lens. The noise handling does tend to be much better as is the wiggle room (the amount of processing you can do on an image while still retaining good detail). I do love shooting on a full frame camera and love the results but there is no doubting that most of the shots could be done just as well on a cropper (assuming I got the exposure bang on to begin with).
Old 20-11-11, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Full frame is an odd one - some people seem to think that it will give totally different results or that it is the magic solution to photographic problems. If you like shallow DOF shots then a full frame camera will allow you to take this to the extreme if used with a really fast lens. The noise handling does tend to be much better as is the wiggle room (the amount of processing you can do on an image while still retaining good detail). I do love shooting on a full frame camera and love the results but there is no doubting that most of the shots could be done just as well on a cropper (assuming I got the exposure bang on to begin with).
I have been thinking about crop v full frame for ages so I went out yesterday to get a feel of the different cameras D7000 D300s and D700. After a lot of thought I have decided to stick with the croppped sensor for two reasons one full frame ain't goinna make me a better photographer and why go to the expense of replacing all the lenses I have already and am happy with for the type of photography I do. I have decided to wait to see what Nikon do in the new year as my camera of choice would be the d300s and I sure an update is on the way sometime soon.
Old 21-11-11, 17:23

Stephen, be aware that Nikon production has had a terrible time both in Japan after the earthquake/tsunami and in Thailand with the monsoon/floods.

As I understand it the Japanese Government has passed the unprecedented law of allowing Thai workers into Japan to help get Nikon's (and other companies) facilities working again, it could be we won't be seeing a new pro/enthusiast DSLR from Nikon for a while.

Some sources think that our dealers shelves could be looking a bit on the lean side, especially if existing stock is exhausted over the Christmas period. I'm not suggesting that you rush out and purchase in haste, I'm sure you'll eventually get the upgrade you want, but I'd take another good look at the existing D7000 if I were you, it's had tremendous praise from those that know about a good camera. You've also mentioned the D300s, as a D300 user of a few years standing, I don't think you could go far wrong, and the deals on it are very tempting at present.

Incidentally I've been waiting (along with countless others!) for the D400, but I'd be amazed - yet delighted - to see it on sale for quite a while yet, it's going to take a while for Nikon to get back to any sense of normal production.
Old 21-11-11, 17:39

Thanks for your imput Bill, Nikon has sure taken a hammering in the last year so I agree we may not see anything new for a while. I am a patient person by nature so I can wait and it gives me a while to save the pennies. I'm lucky that I'm happy to stick with the d80 for now and may even invest in a new lens instead as I've had my eye on a telephoto for bird /wildlife. Lets wait and see what the new year brings. cheers
Old 22-11-11, 09:57

Patience is a virtue - or so they say, I'm sure you'll find what you need the most Stephen, your D80 is a smashing camera, all you need to do now is some more homework on what lens to buy, but that's the fun part I think, good luck with whatever you decide to spend your hard saved pennies on.
Old 23-11-11, 09:41

I recently bought a d7000. It was either that or a second hand D300s but after researching both and having spoken to D300 owners, i was suprised how many had moved to a d7000 and been suprised as to how good the photos are over the D300. Im still learning the camera but from my experience so far its fantastic and really is delivering some stunning results. Its a pleasure to use and with some quality glass you wont be disappointed!!!
Old 23-11-11, 10:08

Thanks Bill, I am very satisfied with the D80 and will probably keep it whatever I decide to do.

Dorsetman, thanks for your views, the D7000 is one of the options I looking at and am thinking of taking another look soon. I prefered the feel of the D300s in the hand although similar to the d7000 it just felt a little sturdier.

Cheers