WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon EOS 1D Mk3 help

Old 15-06-12, 14:36

Default Canon EOS 1D Mk3 help

Hi Guys

I have been presented with an opportunity to buy my friends Canon EOS 1D Mk3 for a very very very good price and i would like to know if there is anyone here with one of these or at least with experience of one. I know all about them and i know they are rock solid and good for 300,000 cycles etc. He will chuck in a 50mm F1.8 lens also but thats a bonus. It has been serviced and an issue with back focusing has been dealt with.

Anyway at sub £1000 is this a worthy buy???
Old 15-06-12, 15:03
Super Moderator

Check that it has gone back to Canon for the recalls, one was for the AF and one for a mirror fix. It is a very good camera with excellent AF and decent high ISO performance (when launched it was the best around but has been surpassed by newer models). If it is worth it will depend on what you shoot, for sports or wildlife it is a decent choice. However for many styles of photography there are better options for the same money. I looked at one last year for wildlife work but decided to go for a 7D instead as the higher crop and video features were more useful to me than the slightly better AF. As for the price, sub £1k is probably right for a private sale as they tend to go for ~£11-1300 through dealers.
Old 15-06-12, 15:07

I already have my D7000 which is constantly suprising me and will actually be better in some areas.

I have got him down to £650 on the 1D Mk3. I would be using it for Macro and Nature based stuff. I dont care for video but crop is important.
Old 15-06-12, 16:08
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsetman View Post
I already have my D7000 which is constantly suprising me and will actually be better in some areas.

I have got him down to £650 on the 1D Mk3. I would be using it for Macro and Nature based stuff. I dont care for video but crop is important.
Well as you already have Nikon stuff do you really want to run two systems?

That said £650 is an excellent price, if I got offered a decentish one for that sort of money I would buy it without hesitation. If you decide not to go for it feel free to point him in my direction!
Old 16-06-12, 01:38

Sounds like a steal to me. I'd probably go for it and see how you get on with it. I personally hate the way canon cameras feel compared to nikons, but that's a personal thing. Other people prefer canons over Nikon. I'd be suprized if you liked both. You may prefer it to your d7000, it's a lot more camera, but heavy as hell.

it's a pitty it wasn't a d3 you were being offered, but then you wouldn't get one of those for £650.