WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Full frame v cropped sensor-350,20d,400 etc

Old 19-12-06, 21:23

Default Full frame v cropped sensor-350,20d,400 etc

Can anyone please explain to me is there any great difference between a full frame camera,and one with the cropped sensors eg 350D,400D etc.
I do believe that a full frame sensor could be more beneficial for wide angle lenses/shots,but would using a fixed focal lens eg 400 for a wildlife image,where one just needs to highlight the central subject,benefit from a full frame camera,or would it not make any difference.
thanks
Christine.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 19-12-06, 21:51
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Can anyone please explain to me is there any great difference between a full frame camera,and one with the cropped sensors eg 350D,400D etc.
I do believe that a full frame sensor could be more beneficial for wide angle lenses/shots,but would using a fixed focal lens eg 400 for a wildlife image,where one just needs to highlight the central subject,benefit from a full frame camera,or would it not make any difference.
thanks
Christine.
as usual my standard reference (I don't get commission on it, its just so good)
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...nsor-size.htm:)

you may get a more specific answer from the experts here
Old 19-12-06, 21:53

Christine,

For wide angle shots then a full frame sensor will give you a wider view than a ' cropped ' sensor for the same focal length lens. On a full frame your 400mm would be 400mm but with your current camera it is the equivalent of around 600mm due to the crop factor.

I hope that helps.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 19-12-06 at 22:03.
Old 19-12-06, 21:56

The full frame should, everything else being equal, have greater dynamic range and more tones as the individual sensors are bigger. This also means less noise as less amplification is needed. However the full sensor cameras are very unforgiving of any optical defects of the lens in use, especially at the edges whereas the cropped sensor cameras only use the ''sweet spot'' in the centre where there are less abberrations. Nowadays the wide angle issue is not an issue as the purchase of one wide lens (I have the Canon 10-22 EF S lens) solves that problem. The Canon 5D gives superior results to the 30D etc if coupled with good ''L'' lenses but if you take lots of very long lens shots as you do with your birds I would be inclined to stay with the cropped sensor as really long L glass is not cheap!
Old 20-12-06, 00:08

Thanks,guys,I think this answers my question,use a full frame camera for wide angle lens shots,landscapes etc,but keep the 20D for birding shots with the 400mm lens.I just wanted to be sure.
Chris,thanks for the ref to the Cambridge site,lots of tecchie data!!!.interesting though,and very well compiled.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 23-12-06, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Thanks,guys,I think this answers my question,use a full frame camera for wide angle lens shots,landscapes etc,but keep the 20D for birding shots with the 400mm lens.I just wanted to be sure.
Chris,thanks for the ref to the Cambridge site,lots of tecchie data!!!.interesting though,and very well compiled.
First buy your full frame and cropped sensor cameras. I should be so lucky.