WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Help on which camera to get

Old 11-03-07, 21:50

Default Help on which camera to get

Hi All
This is my first post so please bear with me . I have a Panasonic Lumiz FZ30 and at the moment mainly use it for bird photos as this is my hobby . With all the knowledge that you have out there can anyone suggest a good DSLR camera and lens (new or second hand) that I would be able to get better high magnified photos at a reasonable price . I am quite pleased with a lot of my pics but have been advised that a DSLR may be better option . I am a beginner to photography and possibly expect too much from the camera I have . I use the Lumix hand held rather than on a tripod as I find most birds are camera shy and dont like their pics being taken so have to take the opportunity whenever it occurs . Apart from that , walking all day with a tripod would certainly kill my enthusiasm even though I know I would get better results . Hope you have some ideas .Thanks in advance
Mick and Kath
Old 11-03-07, 22:09

I've used an FZ20 [very similar] and agree you'd find it easier with a DSLR. If you're on a tight budget and thinking second hand, a Nikon D70 or D50 would be a good buy. I've used both and found them better than the equivalent Canons in terms of speed/buffer. If buying new then there's little difference between any of the current models - best to try and handle them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 11-03-07, 22:21

Hi Mick

Photographing birds and wildlife in general can be the most rewarding and at the same time the most frustrating type of photography. The subject rarely if ever poses, never appears where you want or expect and never stays for long enough for us in the position/place we want them!

I hope you continue to enjoy your hobby and your photos get better with practice - for what it's worth here's my thoughts on your question.

It is easy to get carried away and constantly acquire equipment on the premis that good photo's will naturally follow. Whilst I can't profess to having used an FZ30, my understanding is this camera is fitted with a 12x optical zoom which is quite powerful. To achieve the same with a dSLR would require significant expense on lenses.

I know on some of the Panasonics there is also an antishake system, which if it's fitted to the FZ30 should help when your not using a tripod.

Gadgets aside, the first thing to look at is technique, in your own words your a beginner to photography, so the first key step is to get experience. Use this forum, post some pictures and ask for feedback, you'll find all here extremely supportive. Consider with each posting describing what you hoped to achieve from the image and request technique advice on how to achieve it.

You mention walking all day and with a tripod, I assume from this your walking and taking photo's as birds appear in arround you? Whilst you can achieve some success with this, perhaps you should consider finding an appropriate place, sitting down and letting the wildlife come to you - dressed in non bright clothing, with your back against a tree sitting for hours, providing in an area frequented by birds, you'll be amased just how close some of them will come given time.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-07, 10:03
Super Moderator

I think that any of the entry level dslr's would serve you very well, the biggest advantages over your camera will be the speed and the image quality, both of which should be significant. Personally I'd sway towards either Canon or Nikon as there are more secondhand good quality, AF lenses available for these two than the other makes. (I know that I will be shot down for making such a suggestion).

As for lenses the Sigma 170-500 is very hard to beat for the money. You should be able to pick up a good secondhand one for ~£300. There are better lenses out there, but they cost a good deal more. The 170-500 is a very capable lens, AF is fairly swift and it is a nice weight to handholding, though you will get better results on a tripod. One of my best bird photos was taken using this lens on a Canon 300D...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg commontern05.jpg (45.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-03-07, 10:10

Many thanks to Greypoint and Jon and Postcard cv for your replies. I had actually been looking at the Nikon D70 one of which was for sale on ebay . I think it started in the auction at £600 and included quite a lot of extras (spare batteries ,memory cards etc) . One to keep an eye on . I agree experience is probably the most important thing rather than the equipment and also slow down and dont rush things ( sit down and do a bit more waiting as you suggest) . We are having a weeks Birding next week so if I have any luck I will post a pic or two for your expert eyes to look over .Thanks once again

Last edited by thefitter; 12-03-07 at 12:01.
Old 12-03-07, 17:05

Whilst you are looking around for a slr and lens i agree with the others i would go out and practise. The D70 is a great body, but if it is a bit to much have a look at the D50. I would think you could pick up a good second hand D50 and Sigma 170-500 for a reasonable price that wont break the bank.
Old 12-03-07, 20:28

Other's have said about the same thing but I just want to add my weight to their statements ... Your Panasonic has considerable optical zoom you need to be practicing good long lens technique with that camera just as you would with a Canon with big white 400mm lens on it.

To consistently get good photos in less than perfect light you need to be using a tripod or monopod now with your current camera - DSLR cameras don't lessen the need for good technique!
Old 12-03-07, 20:39

Many thanks to all for your help . I now intend looking for a Nikon D70 or similar and will update as and when that happens . Prompt and informative response greatly appreciated . Many thanks again to all .
Old 13-03-07, 02:01

I look forward to seing your photos.
Old 13-03-07, 16:03
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitter View Post
I had actually been looking at the Nikon D70 one of which was for sale on ebay . I think it started in the auction at £600 and included quite a lot of extras (spare batteries ,memory cards etc) . One to keep an eye on.
Unless it had a lot of extras that's a very high price... warehouseexpress are currently selling off new D70s for £399, an extra battery and a couple of memory cards should only set you back ~£50.