WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The Champagne shot

Old 04-12-06, 18:46

Perhaps I've been diverting you on purpose So you'd forget and my secret would be safe!!! Good luck

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 04-12-06, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
Flash GorDON it is I take it It's more trial and error with manual flash? And can the SB-600 be set to manual?
CRAZY lot

If I have to live up to a name, then so be it.

If SB-600 is a thought then go on ' bread and water ' to get the SB-800. I did the same, to not get the SB50-DX ( SB-600 equivalent ) but get SB-80DX ( SB800 equivalent ) and never regretted it. If I had gone with the lesser one I would in a short time have regretted decision. Foxy has both and I am sure he would agree.

Don
Old 04-12-06, 19:23

Snap!

I got the SB-600 after weighing up the SB-800 also, it seems on paper not much between the two but face to face there is a vast difference. Firstly the SB-600 has a seven segment LCD display and its quite quirky to set. SB-800 is a full matrix display so all functions are clearly displayed and easily set quickly. SB-800 comes free with a diffusion dome (stofen diffuser) whereas SB-600 does not and I payed £15 for one. SB-800 has a commander mode to slave other flashes and SB-600 can only be a slave. SB-800 can work with five batteries for faster recycling time and accept an external power source, SB-600 is powered from four batteries only. Finally from memory SB-600 can set set to 85mm whereas SB-800 can be as narrow as a 105mm field of view although our type of photography wide is best.

I am glad I went for a SB-800 in the end but wish I had taken it from the start. Take £15 off the SB-800 when compared with SB-600 and it becomes a nobrainer.
Old 04-12-06, 19:44

I've just been looking at the price of both these units, I think they'll come sometime after I get an half decent zoom lens (I think the lens has to come first don't you?)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 04-12-06, 20:41

Quote:
I've just been looking at the price of both these units, I think they'll come sometime after I get an half decent zoom lens (I think the lens has to come first don't you?)
Lello,

Now you are on for the next question, and one nearly as tricky as the last. What range of zoom. I think your current is 35-420mm equivalent. That is 12x. In the half decent range then the less the x factor generally the better the image quality.

Any ball park budget for the lens.

Don
Old 04-12-06, 22:46

But I like the X factor
No more than £350 at present (but again that will be in the new year)

Lelsphotos

Last edited by Lello; 05-12-06 at 00:07.
Old 05-12-06, 19:49

I have just found this link on ITTL flash while working on something else but thought it worth posting.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS.../NIKONCLSA.HTM

Don
Old 05-12-06, 20:20

What a great link Don, I didn't realise that SB-800 could do all that, the video about Remote triggering really shows what it can do. As foxy said the SB-800 is worth the extra above the SB-600, I need to put it on my shopping list, I take it I will also need the SB-600 to get the remote triggering to work?

Lelsphotos
Old 05-12-06, 20:25

Quote:
I take it I will also need the SB-600 to get the remote triggering to work?
Lello,

Is that another question to divert my attention.

I would need to check as only Foxy is famililiar with ITTL system. I just fell over the link while doing a check on lenses, and yes that was another diversion but not one of yours.

Don
Old 05-12-06, 20:29

Just keeping you busy Flash gorDon

Lelsphotos