WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Optical triggers and preflash

Old 06-12-06, 09:37

Default Optical Flash Trigger

Here is my new piece of kit, an optical flash trigger that apparently works with all flash guns fitted with a hot shoe. Its no powered and relies on light from a master flash then connects two terminal together triggering the slave flash.

Much as I hate e-bay I did pick it up new or approx £8 including carriage from HK and arrived in a week. The circuit could have been designed an built from items from Maplin but would have cost more than £8!

This now allows me to use my fathers flash (GN 20) dating from the mid eighties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opticaltrigger1.jpg (68.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg opticaltrigger2.jpg (66.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-12-06, 09:53

I'm surprised you haven't been using one of these for ages Stephen, it was one of the very first bits of kit that Don mentioned in this thread. Because of Don's early posts in this thread I bought one (£15 from LCE in Norwich IIRC), and use it to slave my mid 1980s Panasonic flash with its >300V trigger voltage.

To all that have flashguns that cannot be used on modern electronic cameras, these remote triggers are very, very useful. These old guns have negligible value 2nd hand so why not make use of them?
Old 06-12-06, 10:46

Just out of interest have you noticed if these get triggered on pre-flash or not. I used to have one of these 25 yrs ago. heavens knows where it is now. I think they rely fairly high flash trigger voltage to get their power from. I bought a secondhand flash last year which has a 5 Volt trigger voltage which I currently use with a long PC lead. I'd often wondered if it would work with one of these optical slave triggers.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 06-12-06, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Just out of interest have you noticed if these get triggered on pre-flash or not. I used to have one of these 25 yrs ago. heavens knows where it is now. I think they rely fairly high flash trigger voltage to get their power from. I bought a secondhand flash last year which has a 5 Volt trigger voltage which I currently use with a long PC lead. I'd often wondered if it would work with one of these optical slave triggers.
I'll do some experiments when I get home, and let you know. There's nothing to stop me using the optical slave on my modern flash that only has a 5V trigger voltage. I can slave it from the pop-up on the camera, which also has a P-TTL preflash output if I set the camera to program mode.
Old 06-12-06, 13:05

I also have 2 of these and unfortunately if you don't want them to fire with the pre flash then you're out of luck, If you look at the Champagne shot thread you'll see the problem I'm having with pre flash.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 06-12-06, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Rob,

The answers from some testing done tonight.......

I have two flashguns,

1. A National (Panasonic) PE-2057 with a >300V trigger voltage. This is my old film camera flashgun that cannot be used on a modern digital camera without destroying it. It is non-dedicated to a particular camera brand/fit with two "auto" power levels and a full power manual setting. This flash is normally used as a slave, triggered by an optical trigger module similar to that shown by Stephen above.

2. A Sigma EF500 DG ST with a 5V (I think) trigger voltage. This can be safely used on a digital SLR, and also an old film camera - I've just checked this by using it on my K1000, there's backwards compatibility for you. This gun has a fully auto P-TTL mode which utilises a pre-flash pulse for metering, plus two pre-set power levels available for manual flash use.

In addition to these, I have the pop-up module built into my dSLR (Pentax *ist DS). This uses a pre-flash pulse for metering when Program mode, Tv, or Av modes are selected. If full manual mode is set on the camera, there is no pre-flash pulse.

So, the first experiment was to trigger the National flashgun, using the optical slave, activated from the pop-up. As Lello has already said, this does not work if there is a pre-flash pulse; the pre-flash is enough to trigger the module and the remote flashgun does not then synch with the main flash discharge when the shutter is open. When using the camera in fully manual exposure mode, there is no pre-flash pulse and the National flashgun synched perfectly when triggered by the discharge from the pop-up.

The National flashgun was then replaced with the Sigma unit, the Sigma was attached to the optical trigger module and the Sigma set to the low power manual discharge mode. I figured that as the optical trigger had only a single contact on it, there was no point setting the Sigma to P-TTL mode as there would be no communication between trigger module and gun. The Sigma would discharge in synch with the pop-up with the camera set to manual exposure, but only if the pop-up was very close (<300mm) to the optical module.

The same experiment was repeated, using the "Test" button to force a discharge from the National gun, this being used to trigger the Sigma mounted on the optical trigger module. With its higher output (GN28), this was able to trigger the optical module at a reasonable distance and cause the Sigma to discharge.

The results of this testing:
Any pre-flash from the pop-up flash on a camera, or, based on previous experience, a pre-flash from the Sigma in my case, will cause the optical module to trigger the remote slave at the wrong time.

If it is possible to set the camera to not use a pre-flash (try using fully manual exposure mode), then it is possible to get a synchronised flash discharge using an optical trigger module.

If the flashgun on the optical trigger module is an old fashioned model with a high trigger voltage, then it is very easy to get the optical module to trigger the discharge of the remotely mounted gun.

If the flashgun on the optical trigger module is an modern model with a low trigger voltage, then it is necessary to put a lot of energy into the optical module to trigger the discharge of the remotely mounted gun. If you are using the pop-up flash built into your camera, this may not have the required power to trigger the optical module at a realistic distance.

If you have a high powered flash, this can be used to trigger a modern flash mounted onto an optical module at a realistic distance, though this will still be a lot lower distance than can be achieved with a high trigger voltage remote flash.

I've now got spots in front of my eyes from looking at flashguns discharging, so I hope this helps somebody.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 06-12-06, 21:52

Default Preflash and remote triggers.

After the posts on pre flash and flash triggers I have given some thought to the subject.

I see Duncan has got there before me with a couple of experiments so I will throw mine into the pot.

I had a read of my instruction book to ensure that pre flash would be triggered and set the D100 and the D2X up for an experiment. The basis of this experiment was after a flash test, as I was unable to notice the pre flash then its output power is a lot less than the main flash. If this was true then would a black flag as per the attached graphic work. The black flag should in theory shield the remote sensor from the low powered light yet allow triggering by the main flash.

I was unable to prove this, and attach two pics from the test. My slave is so insensitive that no matter what I did I was unable to get it to trigger through pre flash. This does show at least that 1) pre flash is indeed low powered, and 2) there is a sensitivity difference between remote triggers, in that some are blind to the pre flash.

Two pics attatched.

Camera settings on both cameras was Program Mode, 3D Matrix metering and the SB80-DX was set to DTTL.

1) Slave flash OFF. The slave trigger is highlighted in this shot and the Metz 45 in the background is what it is connected to. On camera flash distance to the trigger was 30 inches. So plenty near enough to get preflash trigger when the Metz was turned on. Positioning of the Mez was such that we could see in the image if it fired on time, or was triggered by the pre flash, in which case it would register as OFF. ie fired before the shutter opened.

2) Slave Flash ON . The underexposure here is because the Metz is a far higher powered unit than the SB80-DX that was on the camera. The camera has given correct exposure for the Metz flash reflector. You can see the light from it in the models chimney.

The conclusion from this is, that we need someone with a different remote trigger to try a black flag experiment. Black flag would be a bit of card or such taped to the unit to shied the remote sensor from direct line of sight from camera flash.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Save black flags.jpg (123.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Slave-flash-OFF.jpg (84.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Slave-Flash-ON.jpg (84.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-12-06, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I've now got spots in front of my eyes from looking at flashguns discharging, Duncan
SNAP

Thanks for that Duncan. I will have to wait and see if my idea helps out too.

Don
Old 06-12-06, 22:34

Now you've got me thinking Don. It hurts at the moment....................

I wonder if I use the remote trigger on the Sigma, if the pre-flash off the pop-up will be too weak to trigger it, but the main flash will be enough. I'll have a go tomorrow.
Old 06-12-06, 22:38

Thanks Don & Duncan - If I get a chance later I'll come back on this one.

I don't think your shielding approach will work Don and I'll explain why.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated