WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

1.4 Teleconverter trial

Old 28-04-07, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Thankyou for the comments and concern,have not had time to check the lens,I spit on the cleaning cloth to remove a stubborn smudge and the heat of the sun dried everything too quickly,so I am trying to think how to clean it properly.Maybe some sensor cleaning fluid may work-----but,I cannot be too bad,'cos I took this shot this afternoon outside my back door,and apart from removing the dust spots.no other editing needed.but I will have a try tommorrow,as it is very smeary.

It just goes to show that sometimes we worry too much!

John
Old 28-04-07, 12:04

Well I'm mightly impressed with the Canon 2x extender especially when connected to the Canon70-200 f/2.8L.

I have what I think are some super shots with this combo.

However the quality of this lens combo was brough home to me a few days ago. I saw this high flying airliner Lufthansa 747 over flying us at 35,000-40,000 ft. I liked the way the sun was illuminating this airplane so i fired of a couple of shots.

Harry

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../HighFlier.jpg

The next is just a crop of the first

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...fthansa747.jpg

Last edited by wolfie; 28-04-07 at 12:09.
Old 28-04-07, 21:59

Harry those shots are superb.Very good.I do have the 2x but only use for something special if I do not have my digiscoping stuff with me.I do not take a tripod with me unless I am using the scope,and it is virtually impossible to hold the lens steady whils't trying to use MF .At least the 1x4 uses AF,providing the pins are taped,makes things so much easier.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 28-04-07, 22:15

Thanks Christine, yes I can well image the dificulty trying to manually focus, especially if you are referring to the 100-400mm.

I considered the 100-400, but in the end went for the 70-200 f/2.8 + 2 x extender, so that I would retain auto focus. There are a few times when I wished I had the 100-400 + extender, but on the whole I'm very happy with my choice.

To be quite honest I was amazed when I saw the vapour swirling of the wing tips on the cropped version, especially when you consider the aircraft was approx 7 miles away.

Harry
Old 29-04-07, 11:48

Love the aircraft shot.
Anybody have any experience of comparing the old Kenko 1.4 Pro with the new ''digital'' one which has coatings on the rear element to reduce reflections off the sensor. Is there any discernable difference in the real world?
Old 29-04-07, 19:00

Further to my test with the 400mm f.6 and 1.4 tc I tried some shots today with an old teleplus 2x converter. This gave me a focal length of 800mm at f11. Used a tripod and manual focus. Must say I was pleasantly suprised at the IQ. Never tried it before with this combo as I had always read that 2x tc are a no go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green4x2.jpg (83.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pig2x2.jpg (99.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pig3x2.jpg (78.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg robinx2.jpg (105.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sparrow3x2.jpg (94.3 KB, 9 views)

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 29-04-07, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Further to my test with the 400mm f.6 and 1.4 tc I tried some shots today with an old teleplus 2x converter. This gave me a focal length of 800mm at f11. Used a tripod and manual focus. Must say I was pleasantly suprised at the IQ. Never tried it before with this combo as I had always read that 2x tc are a no go.
I think I would be over the moon with the results you have obtained
Old 29-04-07, 19:22
Super Moderator

Excellent Roy, I haven't tried the 2x, I may give it a go and see what the results are like.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 29-04-07, 22:15

Roy,those shots are great.I guess I will have a go with the eiders out in our bay,difficult to digiscope,esp with the wind,also the light from the sea,but using a tripod,may manage a reasonable shot.Did you use any other settings other than manual focus.Just set to F11,and MF.That means using the AV mode,I think.Which ISO setting did you use,Roy?. I usually pick 400 ,hoping it may compensate for loss of light stops(I think that is correct).

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 30-04-07, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Roy,those shots are great.I guess I will have a go with the eiders out in our bay,difficult to digiscope,esp with the wind,also the light from the sea,but using a tripod,may manage a reasonable shot.Did you use any other settings other than manual focus.Just set to F11,and MF.That means using the AV mode,I think.Which ISO setting did you use,Roy?. I usually pick 400 ,hoping it may compensate for loss of light stops(I think that is correct).
Thanks for the comments Christine - the tc that I used was a non reporting one (only had 8 pins) therefore the camera did not know it was there so I used my normal AV mode with the lens wide open (f5.6). I used ISO 800 which is the same as I use for hand holding this lens with a 1.4 tc (hardly any noise at all on the 30D).

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM