WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon Lens Quality

Old 22-02-08, 14:07

Not sure if I'm classed as a dipstick. I think my expectations of Canon are not unreasonable. I've spent, literally, tens of thousands over the years on camera equipment the majority of which has been Canon. So in return I would expect a reasonable level of quality when it comes to their after sales service.

In my recent frustration I contacted the majority of the UK based Camera magazines, I've had a response from 3. Surprisingly EOS magazine came back to me and said that they were astounded by the number of Canon users who have contacted them to say how disgruntled, like me, they are with Canon's attitude. However they did say that they had also received feed back that Nikon is not much better.
Old 22-02-08, 14:42

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I'm a regular on the Canon forum and I haven't seen any great amount of complaining about Canon.
Old 22-02-08, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
One thing that I have noticed in my trawling of the fora (NOT THIS ONE!) is that ......
If anyone actually read the whole thing, they might notice the three words I've picked out in bold above. I was thinking of DPR and similar fanboy ratnests around the traps, of course.
Old 22-02-08, 15:11

Oh, I should add my 2p worth of experience with Canon service. Several incidents over the years:

1: A Powershot A95, some years ago. Mysteriously failed one day. It took ages - quite probably the fault of the dealer I went through, may not have had anything to do with Canon, I can't say) and came back replaced with a brand-new one. Unfortunately, the new model was took SD not Compact Flash and was useless for digiscoping. Rather than complain, I just sold it. I had a 20D by then anyway, so it was no great loss.

2: Broken 500/4. (I dropped it!) Fixed very promptly, at am amazingly low cost.

3: 20D shutter, just worn out and failed at the end of a long and hard life. A bit expensive, but prompt and helpful service, I still have the camera (alongside a 1D III and a pair of 40Ds) and it still works perfectly.

Summary: you'd have to call that an excellent service record, especially if we assume the retailer I sent the A95 in through was dragging his feet and that Canon were not responsible for the ~2 month delay.

I have to send my 1D III in for the sub-morror fix shortly: let's hope that Canon are as good to me as they have been so far.
Old 22-02-08, 17:28

My only experience was to send a none auto focusing 75-300 zoom to the local Canon approved (even for warranty work) repair people and it came back fine. Sigma re-chipped some of my Sigma lenses for free when I upgraded my cameras, some of them twice because of further upgrading, again no problems.
Old 25-02-08, 18:43

I've sent both the 1D Mk3 and 30D back. The 30D went back on Thursday last week and still hasn't arrived at the Canon service centre in Elstree today (Monday 25th).

The ID 3 went back today to have the sub-mirror looked at. Fingers crossed I get both back within 2 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 25-02-08, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by en830 View Post
I've sent both the 1D Mk3 and 30D back. The 30D went back on Thursday last week and still hasn't arrived at the Canon service centre in Elstree today (Monday 25th).

The ID 3 went back today to have the sub-mirror looked at. Fingers crossed I get both back within 2 weeks, but I'm not holding my breath.
Is this why we keep our old cameras as backup? Looks like you need a backup for your backup!
Old 26-02-08, 12:21

You'll always get the element of owners who talk of the manufacturers of their chosen kit as though they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Car club meets are another venue where it's all too easy to see the same traps being laid.
Some people will attach a certain amount of their feelings to their beloved possessions......some to the point of being irrational or just inaccurate.
Old 26-02-08, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
Is this why we keep our old cameras as backup? Looks like you need a backup for your backup!
Luckily the present Mrs EN830 has a 40D and 300D, that, if I get desperate I may be able to use with a bit of negotiation.

According to UPS's package tracker both items were delivered to Canon today.

I wonder if we expect too much from these Companies ?????
Old 26-02-08, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by en830 View Post
L

I wonder if we expect too much from these Companies ?????
The amount they charge us and the claims they make for their products - no matter what brand - the Service should ALWAYS be top notch. No-one should sell anything that's not fit for purpose.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!