WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

IR on the CHEAP

Old 15-05-09, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Don here's an IR file for you to play with, just some local trees.

Harry
Many thanks for that Harry.
Its just what I need. At least I will now know that any failure in pp will be down to operator error at this end.

Yesterday I got a Hoya R72, and a replacement cable release so all I'm waiting on now is some sunshine.

BTW I found a copy of Amateur Photographer, the Christmas Special, and that has an article on IR converted cameras and they used Advanced Camera Services to convert their 20D.

Don
Old 15-05-09, 14:58

Don you don't always need sun, but it's far better if you have.

Extremely bored this afternoon, so when the rain eventually stopped pouring down, but still very overcast I took this snap of a clematis.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clematis.jpg (163.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 15-05-09, 15:27

Harry,

I did as instructed and ran Auto levels followed by the action available for download in the Processing False Colours in this link and it came out like your final result. Quick and easy.
http://khromagery.com.au/digital_ir.html

I tried this proceedure the day before yesterday on mine and all I got B&W, so it is definately down to your method of setting custom white balance.

I'll have to take a trip into the loft now for the D100 manual.

Don
Old 15-05-09, 15:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Yesterday I got a Hoya R72, and a replacement cable release so all I'm waiting on now is some sunshine.

BTW I found a copy of Amateur Photographer, the Christmas Special, and that has an article on IR converted cameras and they used Advanced Camera Services to convert their 20D.

Don
the suns out now Don, get out and try it...

ACS are worth a visit, I popped in last week and had a chat with them about IR conversion, the chap even let me have a play with his IR D200.
Old 15-05-09, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
the suns out now Don, get out and try it...

ACS are worth a visit, I popped in last week and had a chat with them about IR conversion, the chap even let me have a play with his IR D200.
Peter

Well its in and out.

I am trying to work out the WB thing. Could not find the manual so had to download a copy. Doing at print of the relavent bits now. Not a feature I have ever used and the manuals route looks tricky until I understand what I am doing.

First job is to do a Custom WB and then Auto and see what the kelvin difference is in NX2.

For IR conversion I could spend the money on a conversion or get a decent IR lens that I can use for anything else plus have a fair bit left over. I prefer the lens route so a 20mm f3.5 AIs is on the cards. Manual focus job but no probs as hyperfocus at around 3 metres and all from 1.5 to infinity will be good at f11. Ideal for this I think. Ok it will not meter on the D100 but if I am not doing IR it will be on the D2X and make a great compact lens FOV equal to 30mm on full frame.

Don

PS : I am trying to stick to RAW as on the D100 there is a significant image quality difference between RAW and Jpeg Fine.

Last edited by Don Hoey; 15-05-09 at 16:50.
Old 15-05-09, 17:09

Hi folks - here is another website that I think will bear looking at.
http://www.crhfoto.co.uk/index.htm
It's IR section is very good and takes you through things step by step.
http://www.crhfoto.co.uk/crh/digital...digital-ir.htm

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 15-05-09, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
First job is to do a Custom WB and then Auto and see what the kelvin difference is in NX2.
Conditions for this test are not good today so I will repeat tomorrow. But from my first experiment the shift in deg kelvin of setting a custom WB off grass ( cloudy conditions ) is really significant.

Cloudy normal WB = 6000k. Custom WB off the grass is comming in at 3530k with a tint of -12 in NX2.
Grass is naturally looking a bit freaky in custom WB shot.

Looking good for using RAW though.

Don
Old 15-05-09, 18:11

Don, Peter - is this any good in helping to sort out WB for infrared? It's a new approach for me and I'm getting stuck into the various links it gives you.
http://thegistofit.org/custom-white-balance-using-lab/

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 15-05-09, 19:49

Andy,

I just had a go with Persimon image in Lab but got nowhere.

BIG OOPS from me re my last post . Did whe WB thing but not with the filter on so those figures are duff.
Fairly poor light but I just did a quick job with the filter on and that is well different from the Persimon shot. So here's hoping for a bit of sun tomorrow.

Don
Old 15-05-09, 20:59

I'm a little further North than you Don. Waited an hour for your weather to reach me, then took Peters advice and went out with the IR camera. By no means perfect weather so this is the result. Actually it's two images stuck together as a Pano.

Shot in Raw Temperature adjusted in Lightroom to 2000 then just the normal conversion. Then a gradient mask to darken the sky a touch.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IR Horse Pano.jpg (222.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by wolfie; 15-05-09 at 21:44.