WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

TC Musings

Old 22-03-07, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
I regularly work with a TC14E on my Nikon 500 f4 AFS and can honestly say I can't tell the difference. I'm sure Leif is right, some converters only work well with specific lenses, on the other hand I have a Tamron 1.4 that seems to work well on my Tokina 150-500 f5.6 ATX, my Tokina 80-400 ATX and on my Tamron 90mm Macro. I think if you push the boat out and use a 2X converter on any lens, then you are going to have to except lower quality results. Having said that, if it's the only way you can obtain the shot, then the result is as good as it gets!

nirofo.
Have you tried a 2x TC on your 500mm lens? Andy has some results with a 600mm F4 + 2x TC that are surprisingly good. And Arthur Morris has some in his bird book that are also surprisingly good. At least one of his pictures stacks TCs i.e. 1.4x + 2x.

I think we also need to remember that most of us are testing teleconverters on APS cameras. That means that any edge softness is going to be reduced. That said, I've tried a TC14A on a Nikon 75-150 F3.5, a Nikon 200mm F4 AFD micro lens and a Sigma 400mm F5.5 APO Macro, and the less said the better. The best of the bunch is the 75-150 zoom + TC which is surprisingly sharp, but CA is excessive. The TC14A is said to be for lenses less than 200mm so maybe that explains the results.
Old 22-03-07, 22:37

Well, I must say that I'm impressed with the 400mm + converter at F5.6, though I suppose the dimmer viewfinder image makes it less easy to use with a moving subject.

The key seems to be in finding the lens' best focus distance as well as aperture.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 22-03-07, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
The key seems to be in finding the lens' best focus distance as well as aperture.
Things are getting trickier by the moment. Still without this thread I would not have checked this aspect out at all.

As for viewfinder brightness you are right. Luckily the X has a lot brighter one than the D100, but it would a problem in low contrast/lower light level situation.

Don.
Old 22-03-07, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Things are getting trickier by the moment. Still without this thread I would not have checked this aspect out at all.

As for viewfinder brightness you are right. Luckily the X has a lot brighter one than the D100, but it would a problem in low contrast/lower light level situation.

Don.
Surely you can use the focus confirmation light? That would be auto-focus with a DH motor I guess.
Old 23-03-07, 01:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Have you tried a 2x TC on your 500mm lens? Andy has some results with a 600mm F4 + 2x TC that are surprisingly good. And Arthur Morris has some in his bird book that are also surprisingly good. At least one of his pictures stacks TCs i.e. 1.4x + 2x.

I think we also need to remember that most of us are testing teleconverters on APS cameras. That means that any edge softness is going to be reduced. That said, I've tried a TC14A on a Nikon 75-150 F3.5, a Nikon 200mm F4 AFD micro lens and a Sigma 400mm F5.5 APO Macro, and the less said the better. The best of the bunch is the 75-150 zoom + TC which is surprisingly sharp, but CA is excessive. The TC14A is said to be for lenses less than 200mm so maybe that explains the results.

I've taken many excellent sharp photo's on my Nikkor 500 f4 AFS with a TC20E, however they still don't have the crisp bite of the 500 f4 plus TC14E combo. I've also obtained similar results using a Tokina 150-500 f5.6 ATX and a TelePlus 2X converter at 500mm (1000mm effective). Having said that, both lenses are of exceptional quality and among the best in their class. There are times when everthing is right and all things come together that you can obtain photo's which are way above the quality you could expect from the equipment being used. One particular instance I remember was when photographing Short-eared Owls, I was working from a hide, Olympus OM1n, Tamron 60-300 f5.6 SP at 300mm f8, Hoya 2X converter (600mm f16 effective) Kodachrome 64 slide film, Sunpak GT32 flash unit set up off camera outside hide. Here's one of the resulting photo's.

nirofo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short-eared Owl.jpg (192.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-03-07, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
One particular instance I remember was when photographing Short-eared Owls, I was working from a hide, Olympus OM1n, Tamron 60-300 f5.6 SP at 300mm f8, Hoya 2X converter (600mm f16 effective) Kodachrome 64 slide film, Sunpak GT32 flash unit set up off camera outside hide. Here's one of the resulting photo's.

nirofo.
Very impressive it is too.

Don
Old 23-03-07, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Surely you can use the focus confirmation light? That would be auto-focus with a DH motor I guess.
On a reasonably bright overcast day like yesterday with light around EV14, then centre focus confirmation light does not display with 2x tc on, light levels reaching the a/f sensor are equal to trying to auto focus an f11 lens. The focus direction arrows work fine at these lower EV though.

Today with the cloud, the light level is EV11 and the centre confirmation light is out with the 400 on its own.

A/F would be very nice but pricey. Guess that would rate a thread, but then again, perhaps not. I must be one of the few here, or possibly the only one, using M/F at the long end.

Don
Old 23-03-07, 13:10

don't you guys use tripods??
Old 23-03-07, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0510 View Post

Pick 'n mix.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pick-n-mix.jpg (100.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-03-07, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0510 View Post

I use a tripod 90% of the time for landscapes, wildlife, close-ups and general photography, I use a custom made ledge and bean bag from the car window 8% of the time for birds and wildlife and I handhold my camera 2% of the time, mostly flight shots of birds. I must admit though that very occasionally, very occasionally I might add, I take a hurried handheld shot of a particular scenic view, where the lighting is just right and I don't have time to set up for it. Unfortunately it's very rare I get a winner from it.

nirofo.