WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

A day spent searching

Old 09-07-19, 09:00

Default A day spent searching

Yesterday I spent 5 hours going through the online dealers for what I had assumed would be a simple purchase.
I wanted some filters, 72mm round ones. For my Canon 50mm f1.2L and 85mm f1.4 is L
An ND8 neutral density, an ND 0.6 grad and a circular polariser.
I thought it would be simple, I wanted them all from the same manufacturer, initially B&W, .... they did not do all three, so I tried Tiffen, same result, Hoya, likewise, Canon, no, sigma, no ,even Nikon, still no.
I thought OK I will get a 72 /77 step up ring, no good the lens hoods won't fit with them on.
I ended the day at Wex getting a Canon ND8, and Tiffen circular pol and an "attenuator" ( ND grad). they will take a week to arrive as they are not in stock.
As I said I thought it would be a simple exercise, but everyone seems to use huge rectangular filters, or "fake" it in Photo shop these days.
Oh well, it's not easy being a dinosaur, but I like it.
Charles.
Old 14-07-19, 00:13

Possibly I've missed something, but it looks as though B&H could supply your list from the B&W range.

All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice (Elliot Erwitt)
Old 14-07-19, 09:21

Morning Stephen, how are you and yours, not heard from you for a while.
I thought so too Stepen but even they did not have stocks of 72mm ND grad!
It seems that 72mm is not a common size, 67 and 77 everyone did them.
It may be that it is used more for wide angle lenses and you can't use CL at all ( causes banding),and ND grads can give a poor result for the sky.
Incidentally, have you done the DXO update from last week? It now lets you use Nick collection in Photo lab.
I did not bother with the Nick update as it came with Photo lab essential and I have Elite already. I wonder if they will do an update just for Nick, apparently it has a lot more pre sets and effects, may be worth getting.
All the best, Charles.
Old 15-07-19, 22:12

Fine thanks - I've been looking in but didn't have anything to say!

I've been making good use of a recently acquired Bronica ETRS. Well, I say "good use"; "extensive" might be a safer word as "good" would imply something about the quality of the results.

Pity about the filters. I just checked, and my standard larger size (for my RZ67) is 77mm, bearing out what you found, that 77mm is popular.

I haven't done the lastest DXO update, in part because I don't use the Nik collection (heresy, I know!). I am still impressed with what DXO does with the raw files from my a7rII; some of the things are beyond my Photoshop abilities were I to try to emulate then, and it's so easy as well. Very impressed. Possibly I might think otherwise if I'd stayed on the Photoshop upgrade treadmill, but I stopped at CS2 (CS3 dropped one of the few features I actually used) and Sue stopped at CS5.5. I don't feel any lack. Between DXO and Affinity, I seem to be able to do anything I'd want to, and CS2 handles my black and white films fine.

All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice (Elliot Erwitt)
Old 16-07-19, 08:31

I am similar to you, DXO plus Abobe elements 19 for layers etc. I got the elements when it looked like DXO were going, as it could also do the RAWS from my Fuji as well as the Canon.
I tried Affinity free trial but after waiting over half an hour for it to load 60 RAWs from an eventr, and having to crash the computer to stop it, I decided to give it a miss.
Affinity customer care said they were sorry it did not suit my work flow and they were looking at it!
Charles.