WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Humidity and DSLRs

Old 26-06-06, 23:22

Default Humidity and DSLRs

Okay, I must admit I was a bit rough with my camera when digiscoping and took it out in all kinds of weather. Thankfully, it still performs wonderfully.

Now with the DSLR I'm a bit concerned and was wondering if the very high humidity I have here during the hot summer months is harmful to any parts of my camera. THI (temperature, humity and index was in triple figures the last few days)
Old 27-06-06, 07:40

I think the DSLR is relatively resilient. My D70 - since sold - looked better sealed than a traditional silver and cow bone one. The sensitive part in my experience is the lens. I've lost one lens to condensation/fungus, and another needed an expensive clean after having a swim in a silty stream. I've also written off a camera - Nikon F90x - after it accompanied the lens for a swim. It might be worth storing gear with silica gel. I have a large plastic box in which I place lenses and cameras with some silica gel when not in use. Silica gel often comes free with computers, so if you get deliveries at work, half inch the gel.

Leif
Old 27-06-06, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin
Okay, I must admit I was a bit rough with my camera when digiscoping and took it out in all kinds of weather. Thankfully, it still performs wonderfully.

Now with the DSLR I'm a bit concerned and was wondering if the very high humidity I have here during the hot summer months is harmful to any parts of my camera. THI (temperature, humity and index was in triple figures the last few days)
The thing to watch out for is sudden changes in T&H. Taking a camera from an air-conditioned environment into somewhere hot and humid is a sure way of getting everything coated in condensation. Unless you give the camera time to equilibrate.

Some dSLRs (and some lenses) are weather-proofed. They shouldn't be too badly affected by condensation.
Old 27-06-06, 22:36

I must apologise for smiling to myself when I saw your name (KCF) linked to this thread title. but I just have that type of sense of humour - nothing personal.
Now to the serious bit - 7dayshop.com, for example, have Silica Gel listed :-
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...o=SEARCH&comp=
but the p+p is £3.95! Maybe someone knows where it can be bought a bit nearer to home (with less p+p)?

Roger
Old 28-06-06, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerscoth
I must apologise for smiling to myself when I saw your name (KCF) linked to this thread title. but I just have that type of sense of humour - nothing personal.
Now to the serious bit - 7dayshop.com, for example, have Silica Gel listed :-
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/defa...o=SEARCH&comp=
but the p+p is £3.95! Maybe someone knows where it can be bought a bit nearer to home (with less p+p)?

Roger
Jessops sell it, but I woud not call them cheap. It is often on ebay, and that might be the best bet. Mine came from work, with a new PC and in boxes of Japanese rice crackers given to us all by Japanese colleagues. Leif
Old 29-06-06, 18:55

Hi Folks

This is my first posting so please be gentle with me

What Hollis_f said (who is a good mate of mine) is true. I was recently in Curacao (Dutch Antilles) and upon taking my Canon gear (20D + 100-400 L IS USM) out of the air-con'd room, immediate condensation all over the camera/lens (obviously worse on the glass components) was the result!

Initially I tried to fight nature by trying to clean the condensation off (Doh!), but when my brain engaged, I realised the answer was to just be patient and wait whilst the gear got acclimatised/acclimated!

A 10 minutes wait seemed to be the optimum (but that would likely depend on the level of humidity and how cold your room was!) but after that, there was no trace of any condensation at all. The very annoying thing was that every interesting bird species imaginable seemed to turn up - during the 10 minute wait

I also grabbed some rice which, in the absence of silica gel, was the most hygroscopic thing I could think of (and I wasn't exactly going to use salt!). You can imagine I got some very strange looks when I tried to explain what I needed the rice for!

Hope that helps
Didi
Old 29-06-06, 20:48

Where I work, eastern coast of Saudi Arabia, most be the most humid place on the planet. As Didi says, it's best to wait until the condensation goes before attempting to take any pictures. Last week I was trying to get some close pictures of some kentish plovers but as soon as I poked the lens outside of my 4X4 it misted up. A couple of minutes later it cleared and I was able to start shooting. I'm hoping the camera and equipment will be OK because humidity is usually linked to fungus.

BTW it was 111 deg F and about 90% humid.

Last edited by AJDH; 29-06-06 at 20:50.
Old 30-06-06, 00:37

I want to thank everyone for chiming in here with their suggestions. All of them, will be put to use. Have now moved my camera bag into a room I don't use often and have closed the register to that room so the camera will be a bit warmer than where I usually keep it and hopefully will not require to much time to equalize when I bring it outside. Also ordered silica gel.

Didi, I want to wish you a warm welcome from me along with the rest of those on staff here at WPF. It's good to have you here. We are always gentle here
Old 30-06-06, 11:44

Excellent - I hope that sorts it out

Didi, I want to wish you a warm welcome from me along with the rest of those on staff here at WPF. It's good to have you here. We are always gentle here [/quote]

Thank you - that's a nice welcome. I think I shall enjoy being a part of this community

Kind regards
Didi
Old 30-06-06, 12:51

I have posted this before and made Don Hoey, roll with laughter. I'll post again

Temperature and humidity are both low in a jet aeroplane hold and anything in there for a period of time such as a long haul flight will be very cold. I have been advised to wrap camera gear in a sealled poly back. Upon arrival at your destination the gear will be protected from any condensation as air trapped inside should be fairly dry at least equal to home humidity but any local humidity forming on the cold bag allows camera gear to remain dry until the bag has equlaised after a few hours.

I remember when I worked in Thailand my laptop, required for the job was always wet on arrival to site as my accomocation was air conditioned and site was not initially, as soon as site became airconditioned the problem disappeared. Worrying to see a computer with moisture all over but it did not long term damage.

Sorry if this does not really answer the question but I though I would share again...and possibily get another laugh!