WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

What camera?

Old 25-03-09, 15:40

Default What camera?

I would like to get (preferrably) either a Canon or Nikon DSLR. The most I can afford is probably going to be about £300 tops! So, obviously I am thinking second hand, as opposed to brand new.

I have just sold my Eos 300d, so would like something with a few more pixels (would like to possibly sell some of my photos one day and want the most pixels I can afford, so my photos can be blown up to poster size, if required.). I also really want a camera that produces good quality images and has a few more features, than the 300d. I am considering a second hand Canon Eos 400d (as it has very good reviews), or something of that ilk. But, apart from that, don't really have a clue what I should/can get on my budget.

Any ideas please??

Last edited by Sally; 25-03-09 at 15:43.
Old 25-03-09, 17:33

Does everyone think I'm being silly trying to get a digital SLR for under £300? There is a 'Buy it Now' for £200 for a Nixon D40 on ebay. I know it's only 6MP, but maybe I could start off with it. I don't see myself needing to blow up photos that big, in the near future.
Old 25-03-09, 18:12

Sally,

I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve with this purchase. Sure, the 300D was rather dated, but in terms of your creativity and artistic ability, how do you think it will improve things by changing? Having already sold your 300D, I guess you have to replace it.

You can get a 400D for £300, see this link:
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...UBCAT_CODE=149

I've used Cameraworld a few times as they are relatively local and can vouch for them.

Duncan
Old 25-03-09, 19:47

Hi Sally,
I have a 400D and i can honestly say i havent had any problems with it, its a great little camera.
Craig
Old 25-03-09, 20:31

Thanks Duncan and Craig for your replies. I have actually just purchased the Nikon D40 (I am way too impulsive!)!

I know that the Eos 400 is supposed to be very good, but as i said, I am very impatient and hate waiting for anything and we did not have the money today to buy the 400d, so I bought the Nikon. I did read up though and it seems to be a very good camera, for now anyway. I will see what happens with my photography and if I need a camera with more mega pixels in the future, then I will look again!

Duncan, I realise that a different camera will not necessarily make my pictures any better, if they are not much good to start with, but I really would like to try and improve! For the first time in my life, I have actually found something I love with a passion, that I could potentially make a living from, if I really try to learn from constructive critisicm and read lots/maybe go on photography courses etc.
Old 25-03-09, 23:57

Sally, congratulation, you've made the right choice! Sometimes it's better not to wait much and the Nikon D40 is a nice camera. Good luck!

Last edited by Moonlighter; 26-03-09 at 15:02.
Old 26-03-09, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
Sally, congratulation, you've made the right choice! Sometimes it's better not to wait much and the Nikon D40 is a nice camera. Good luck!
Thanks, glad to hear it! I've never had a Nikon before, so am really looking forward to trying it out!
Old 26-03-09, 08:44

Well done Sally Excellent choice the D40 is a great camera and thats coming from a Canon user
Old 27-03-09, 23:44

Sally, if you have not already had a look, see Steves Digicams (American web-site) report at http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...nikon_d40.html for confirmation that you have chosen well - good luck.

Roger