WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Looking for a small, light weight DSLR...

Old 26-03-09, 18:43
Super Moderator

Default Looking for a small, light weight DSLR...

I'm a bit obsessive and carry a camera everywhere with me (DLSR and two lenses went shopping with me today), a 1D with lenses and a flash gun is a bit of a bulk to lug about. So I decided to get a compact (I'd not had one for a while) so bought a Panasonic TZ5 for the odd grab shot and for snaps of my kids when visiting friends. It's a nice camera but the lack of manual controls (and RAW) have been a real issue, it also have a habit of oversaturating shots (esp indoors with flash).

So I'm toying with selling it and buying either a decent compact (like a G10 or a P6000) or a small, light weight DSLR. I tried a Panasonic G1 today and was very impressed with it, the twin lens kit would be the ideal solution for me, but at nearly £700 it's a lot more than I'd like to spend. I've been offered a used (but good nick) Olympus E410 with two lenses for a reasonable price but don't know much about it. Does anyone have any experience with either the G1 or the E410 or know anyother reasonably priced DSLRs or compacts that would fit the bill?
Old 27-03-09, 00:09

NIKON d40..fo sho
Old 27-03-09, 00:29

I use a 400D as a casual camera - often with the 28-300 lens, which is also quite small and light - or as a back-up body on long trips. It's a flexible body, has surprisingly good image quality, and has the advantage of working with all your good glass too.
There are also quite a few around secondhand still - and likely to be a few more as people upgrade to the 500D!
Old 27-03-09, 00:41

Canon 450D - nice camera; Olympus E-420 - not sure, but still it's small..
Old 27-03-09, 20:10

would perhaps make sense to go for a 350,400 or 450d. Great lightweight cameras, with the very light std 18-55mm lens, and with an added bonus could take your canon lenses if needed.
Old 01-04-09, 23:12
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback - I do think that going for a small Canon body would make sense, I could use other lenses with it if needed and the controls (and RAW files) would be familiar. I guess a 350D/400D with my 50 f1.8 would be a nice light set up, I would probably add a zoom too, something like the Sigma 18-200 perhaps... I reckon that would be fun for snapping shots of the kids. I'm hoping to get along to WHE in the next weeks or so and try this set up along side the Olympus E420 and the Panasonic G1. From what I've been reading the Panasonic LX3 compact will also be worth a look.
Old 02-04-09, 14:04
Super Moderator

I popped into the WHE showroom today and had a play with both the G1 and the E420, both seem like nice little cameras. For me the G1 had the edge in handling (the lack of grip on the E420 felt a bit odd) and I liked the articulated LCD. The EVF on the G1 was better than any other I'd tried, but still not as nice to use as the viewfinder on the E420. The kit lens on the Panasonic was much smaller than the Olympus, but the Oly 40-150 was tiny compared to the Panasonic 45-200. Both seemed to AF quickly enough and the live view AF seemed to work well on the Olympus. Given the huge price difference (E420 twin lens kit ~£380, G1 twin lens kit ~£625) and just how close they are to each other in size and performance I can't see e buying a G1. Sure it's a very nice camera and the gadget lover in me wants one, but I think for once common sense will win out and I'll resist it.

I then tested the Olympus E520 against the E410, they really are very similar cameras, but the grip on the E520 makes it nicer in the hand. Coupled with the addition on in camera IS and the extra cost of only ~£80 the E520 is probably a better buy. The only way I could get a similar Canon set up for the same price would be to go for a used 350/400D and a Sigma 18-200. It is amazing to me that you can get the Olympus twin lens kit for less than a Canon 450D body only!
Old 02-04-09, 16:59

Yeah, the same goes for the entry level Sony SLR kits too. I think like Sony Olympus is trying to get a better foothold into the market.
True also, that when I worked selling cameras some of the kits sold with very little or no margin......When the older E400 went on a special deal I think it actually made a loss for the shop (which of course was always tried to be regained with the addition of bags, cards, batteries and extra warranties where the profit was.......personally I don't think the company buyers at headoffice could negociate themselves out of a paper bag, but thats another story)

personally, as long as you choose the seller wisely, a s/h 350d can be had for next to nothing on ebay (buy on a weekday, sell at the weekend ). We got Jacky's (wisher) with an 18-55mm lens for £150 !!!....and it was complete, boxed and in mint condition. We sold the older 300d for nearer £180!!!! .....We still can't believe our luck with that even now.

Last edited by Joe; 02-04-09 at 17:04.
Old 02-04-09, 18:00
Super Moderator

yeah a used 350D is tempting too, I was always happy with it when I used it as my main camera so I know I'd be happy with it. My local camera shop has a couple in used for ~£150, they're in excellent nick and would come with a warranty. It seems that I can pick up a Sigma 18-200 for ~£220 so that set up would be similar price to the Olympus E420 kit. The Canon would clearly be familiar and thus easy to use, but it would be interesting to try another system... I did have a look at the Sony's today too but didn't like the feel of them for some reason.
Old 06-04-09, 13:21

The canon 450d with the new much better 18-55mm IS lens would be a good bet.