WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Help/your opinion on a coursework question and my answer please.

Old 20-09-10, 13:32

Question Help/your opinion on a coursework question and my answer please.

Hey ok so recently ive started a course with the photography institute and im a just wanting some opnions if you're willing to give them.

For each of the following photographic assignments, describe the lens, attachments and filters you would use. Assume that you are shooting on a small format SLR digital camera with a full size 35mm sensor and have only the following lenses: 20mm, 28mm shift, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm macro, 135mm, 300mm. Please nominate the lens or lenses chosen and give a brief explanation of why you made the choices you did.

Q: A magazine has hired you to shoot a cover shot of a models head. There will be hair and makeup artists and they want an outdoor shot on an overcast day.

My answer: Probably use the 135mm, It will allow you frame snugly on the models head and it would also give a nice out of focus background. I would also add a little light to the picture useing a reflector and bouncing it off the model and this could make up for the fact that its an overcast day.
Old 21-09-10, 13:08

Firstly, (this is going to sound really harsh) the point I would make is that you are expected to do the work to pass the course. Getting others to spoon feed you may make your life easier, but you won't learn from it.

Secondly, I think you need to justify your answer in more detail. Explain how you would get "a nice out of focus background", why you would do this, and the other parameters of the lens that will be needed to achieve this. Explain why you are using a 135mm lens, why this frames the model's head, how the use of this lens affects the other elements in the scene. Why this fits the brief, what is your goal with this shoot, what is your intention/idea for the shoot and why you think it will work. In reality, you could have used a large number of the choices you've listed, with a great deal of success, it all depends on the style you are aiming for, the context of your surroundings, how you want to get the look of the final image. Without explaining your idea, you will not be able to justify why your choice is the right one.

You mention use of a reflector, you need to explain why and how you are going to use this, the words you have given are sketchy at best. Where is your source of light, what kind of light is it, how are you going to use this light? Why is the method you are going to use the right one?

I think you get the idea.
Old 21-09-10, 13:31

Its ok lol it wasnt as harsh as some of the stuff i endured in college, i dont want to be 'spoon fed' thats my last intention, if i did i would have posted all 10 senarios(from browsing the web i have seen well over 50-60 forums where PI student have actually done this) and asked what people would have used. Where as i only posted 1 senario and asked for people opnions on what i have chosen as this is one of the only ones i was kinda unsure about... I actually went over my coursework and improved it all last night befor submitting it. i realised this morning from looking back and reading over the post that i didnt include enough information as to why i chose that lense. In the end i chose 3 lenses and explained why in detail and i did include what lighting i would use and why, now im just awaiting my result befor moving on to assignment 2.
Old 21-09-10, 18:39

Glad to hear it.

You may get more marks if you spell lens, singular, without an "e" on the end.
Old 21-09-10, 20:05

oops didnt realise they where in there, i touch type and dont really check over thanks though ^_^