WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Cross Processing

Old 26-11-10, 22:34

Thanks for the info Glenvic. I did a bit of Googling too and found the same advice on the web sites I visited, better to under expose by one stop. Colours seem to vary considerably depending on the film used (some not even giving a shift at all but merely increase saturation and contrast) with old out of date film giving the strongest results. Have you got a flat bed scanner? That would probably be good enough for an experiment. Keeps the cost down for your Hubby. Tell him that photography is far cheaper than riding, I should know as my wife is into riding and owns and pays for one horse and shares another. Says I have too many cameras too!
Old 27-11-10, 09:41

I've ordered some out of date 100 film on Ebay .... on my way. I just need to find a decent lab who is prepared to aprocess the film. From what I can see they appear to be reluctant to do so because of "cross contamination" of their fluids. Otherwise I'll have to try it myself!!!!! Unfortunately I do not own a scanner - threw it away ages ago and now regret it. As to cheaper than riding .... there is a problem .. I also ride a Harley so there is nothing cheap about that but as he has one too he cannot bring that up in any argument.
Old 27-11-10, 11:46

Easier to post any interesting links I find as I go along.

I am starting todays info search with C41 colour neg cross processed in E6 as you seem to be fairly set on that route.
There is quite a bit on this Flikr link
http://www.flickr.com/groups/crosspr...discuss/81487/

Don
Old 27-11-10, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenvic View Post
I've ordered some out of date 100 film on Ebay .... on my way. I just need to find a decent lab who is prepared to aprocess the film. From what I can see they appear to be reluctant to do so because of "cross contamination" of their fluids. Otherwise I'll have to try it myself!!!!!
Just in case it does become a 'process your own film' job, then I have just fallen over this link to home developing E6. Which you will need to do if you use colour negative film.
http://www.lightcatchers.org/gcarlso...processing.htm

Don
Old 27-11-10, 13:11

Thumbs up A Commercial Processor

Here you go for someone that does cross processing.

Peak Imaging.

Film speed changes and cross processing add £1:10 per film to the standard rate.

http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/film_processing.htm

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 27-11-10 at 13:20.
Old 27-11-10, 19:47

Thanks Don, I think that having read a bit more this afternoon I am inclined to develop it myself and then perhaps get a lab to print without any colour correction. I'm going to follow the links that you have found and see where it takes me.
Old 27-11-10, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenvic View Post
Thanks Don, I think that having read a bit more this afternoon I am inclined to develop it myself and then perhaps get a lab to print without any colour correction. I'm going to follow the links that you have found and see where it takes me.
But having said that it is relatively cheap to get it done by that Lab.
Old 28-11-10, 17:59

I'm interested to see the results when you get round to it. I agree that its probably worth getting it processed unless you really enjoy film developing.

Maybe you might find some cheap transparency film as the results should be quite different. Transparency would of course allow you to photograph the result on a light box in lieu of scanning. Neg would be harder to do this way as you have the film base tint to deal with.

Don
Old 29-11-10, 08:06

Glennis,

There used to be a really good lab on the Dukes Park industrial estate, but I don't know if they are still going.
Chelmsford Colour Laboratories
18 Grafton Place, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6TG

p: 01245451425 f: 01245451245

For this kind of work you really do need to talk to a lab first and find out what they can/can't do and see what recommendations they have.

You can get some good photoshop actions that simulate cross processing that may give you a clue what sort of effect you're going to end up with.

Here's the one I've used in the past
http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...Processing.htm
never done it for real in a darkroom.
Old 30-11-10, 18:48

Thanks Duncan. I'll make some enquiries. Waiting for the films to arrive and then I'm going to do some test shots. But in the meantime I'll check out the site. Missed you last month in Danbury -we were looking forward to meeting Debs.