WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Polariser problem

Old 21-08-11, 19:09

Default Polariser problem

Hi folks , perhaps someone can advise on this question, while out yesterday I was taking some long range shots of some shipping with my Sigma 135-400mm lens and thought I would fit a polarising filter onto the lens to cut down any glare etc, however I could not get the camera/lens to focus sharply, I tried rotating the filter but still to no avail - On removing the filter - the lens autofocus etc worked perfectly, and I have tried it again to today in more controlled conditions with the same results - has anyone else had this happen to them, - I'm sure I have used this same filter on my 10-20mm with no problems - is this a telephoto thing or a dodgy filter? - hope you can help
Old 25-08-11, 12:39

If I have the lens correct then at 135mm the largest aperture is f4.5 and at 400mm its f5.6.
The polariser will cut the light by up to 2 stops so a/f will struggle as its equivalent to using a lens with max aperture of f8 or f11. If using at long range ( infinity ) the best bet is to use manual focus. Easy if your lens has a hard stop at infinity mark.

Don
Old 31-08-11, 14:07

I think the problem may be that you are using a linear polariser instead of a circular one. Many auto focus systems do not work with linear polarisers. A CPL has an extra stage to get round this.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...