WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Curves

Old 03-05-06, 17:48

Thumbs up Curves

I see Ron Bigelow has just posted Part 1 in a 5 part series on his web site.

Very interesting for learners like me. http://ronbigelow.com/articles/curves-1/curves-1.htm

Don
Old 03-05-06, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
I see Ron Bigelow has just posted Part 1 in a 5 part series on his web site.

Very interesting for learners like me. http://ronbigelow.com/articles/curves-1/curves-1.htm

Don
Don, it all seems rather a lengthy and wordy tutorial on the Curves tool. and its only number 1 of 5. I can't wait for the rest

Frankly I would sooner get a decent book.

I knew you would ask which one

The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. Without a doubt the best one around and by the leading exponent of the program. Its very readable and informative. Get over to Amazon and do yourself a favour
Old 04-05-06, 09:10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. Without a doubt the best one around and by the leading exponent of the program. Its very readable and informative. Get over to Amazon and do yourself a favour
Thanks for the recommendation Stephen.

All a bit of a puzzler when you don't know the program and are trying to work out which is going to give the best info on features you are likely to use. Thats why I have been doing a bit of web trawling to get a bit of basic understanding of some of those regular features.

It will take me time to understand Tone Mapping for example, a feature from your critique post.

Don
Old 04-05-06, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey

It will take me time to understand Tone Mapping for example, a feature from your critique post.

Don
Ah yes, I'm still experimenting with this, but its something I see great potential in. If you want to know more you could try here http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html#tone_mapping

I personally feel that what I have done is more of a conceptual thing, I am not trying to play by the rules so to speak, rather I'm pushing the bounds of what the program can do, just to see what happens.

By the lack of comments it would appear that people here are not too keen, are not prepared to open their minds to it, or simply are being polite and not offering any input for fear of offending. Frankly I wonder if the critique forum is the best place, but thats another issue I'm struggling to come to terms with on this site

Just as a further offering though, this is another test with the tonemapping plugin from Photomatix, Ipersonally think there are great possibilities
Attached Images
File Type: jpg portrait.jpg (155.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-05-06, 13:22

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Beautiful image, Stephen.
I'm still trying to work my way through the basics of my 20D + PS7 so I'm a long way from geting to Tone mapping or other exotic subjects. That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the results though.
As an aside, I rather wish that some one would do a series on Sharpening.
Old 04-05-06, 14:57

Quote:
Ah yes, I'm still experimenting with this, but its something I see great potential in. If you want to know more you could try here http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html#tone_mapping

I personally feel that what I have done is more of a conceptual thing, I am not trying to play by the rules so to speak, rather I'm pushing the bounds of what the program can do, just to see what happens.

By the lack of comments it would appear that people here are not too keen, are not prepared to open their minds to it, or simply are being polite and not offering any input for fear of offending. Frankly I wonder if the critique forum is the best place, but thats another issue I'm struggling to come to terms with on this site

Just as a further offering though, this is another test with the tonemapping plugin from Photomatix, Ipersonally think there are great possibilities

I love this. Did you start off by generating a new .hdr with a few repeated and varied 'tweaked exposure' copies from the original - or did you do it purely by several repeats of just the one 16bit image (without the nedd/use of any further repeated copies and a new .hdr).

I haven't tried pushing the tone mapping on anything yet but I'm keen to give it a bash as soon as I feel i have a suitable image to work with.

Pol
Old 04-05-06, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyG
I love this. Did you start off by generating a new .hdr with a few repeated and varied 'tweaked exposure' copies from the original - or did you do it purely by several repeats of just the one 16bit image (without the nedd/use of any further repeated copies and a new .hdr).

I haven't tried pushing the tone mapping on anything yet but I'm keen to give it a bash as soon as I feel i have a suitable image to work with.

Pol
Hi Pol, I simply used a single file converted to 16bit. I then applied the TM plugin 4 times, each time adjusting the strength and white/black point sliders to get a good histogram
Old 04-05-06, 15:13

Quote:
Hi Pol, I simply used a single file converted to 16bit. I then applied the TM plugin 4 times, each time adjusting the strength and white/black point sliders to get a good histogram
Aha! Thanks for that! I haven't tried using the white/black sliders to any great extent so far - I've only been using them in tiny doses.

I feel some serious geekery sessions coming on in the very near future.

Wahey!

Pol
Old 04-05-06, 20:32
Super Moderator

Stephen did you dowload the plug-in or is it with CS.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 04-05-06, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Stephen did you dowload the plug-in or is it with CS.
It's a download available from http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html ...... scroll down and look for the "Tone Mapping plugin" - but I think it's only compatible with CS2. If you don't have CS2 you can still use the standalone "PhotomatixPro" programme which also has the same tone mapping functions. The trial software versions are fully functional though they leave a watermark on the final image.

Dunno about Stephen but I found the following link helpful and easy to follow as it's written in easier-to-follow terms. It explains more about high dynamic range (HDR) in photography.
http://www.cybergrain.com/tech/hdr/

Also see the homepage of the photomatix site at http://www.hdrsoft.com.

I'm just experimenting with it too - ain't done anything 'arty-clarty' with it yet, just testing it with regular photos, using the plugin to tweak highlights/shadows/colours and fiddling about with it using layers.

I don't think there are many 'expert' users about so almost everyone is just experimenting, having fun and seeing what they can achieve with it.

Pol