WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Camera for a newbie!

Old 15-04-08, 23:52
Administrator

Default Camera for a newbie!

I'm looking to buy a new camera in the next month or two and was wondering what might be suggested for a complete amateur who's previously only really owned point and click cameras, and now wants to learn how to use something with a bit more power! I've used friend's Digital SLRs before and know the very basics - have somehow managed to get some decent shots with them too!

Not sure what else to mention really!

I want to spend a maximum of £500 to start off with, unless someone can justify me spending a little tiny bit more!

Ollie
Old 16-04-08, 09:27
Super Moderator

You wont go wrong with the entry level models from Nikon or Canon. I see the Nikon D40 is under £300 at www.warehouseexpress.com , the Canon D400 ~£400 & the Nikon D60 ~£450.

For a comparisons and reviews I would look at either www.imaging-resource.com or www.dpreview.com
Old 16-04-08, 12:11
Chris

There are plenty of Nikon D80s & D200s second hand, you have just missed Derek's, but a lot of folks have upgraded to D300. D80 if you prefer small body with most of the D200 features, D200 if you like a good lump of metal in your hand and need some of the slick bits (see Michael Hogan's 2nd body thread).

The D80 was offered with a 18-135 kit lens for next to nothing, but it is very good indeed and worth including if in an offer.

Only qualification and reason for going for later generation new is that built in cleaning is included in the latest models Clive flags up
Old 16-04-08, 12:28

Would tend to go with Clive's suggestion. Whilst 2nd hand D200 is available for similar price, it is a bit daunting even for an experienced photographer - there really are a lot of options that would scare the pants off a newbie.

Duncan
Old 16-04-08, 13:16

The D80 is a superb starter/middle camera, and I do feel a little bit guilty for taking it back off my wife and selling it!

Unless (like me) you need the additional features pro/semi pro models have (in my case fast Auto Focus and Frames per Second) then this camera will do everything you ask of it with aplomb. It certainly inspired me and gave me the bug when I started out - not very long ago either.

My New Website
Old 16-04-08, 23:05

Canon 350d + 18-55mm 'standard' zoom lens are going for really great prices new (if you can find old stock)....because the newer 400d model has been out for a while now. millions sold...massively popular cameras, canon one of the most comprehensive systems around.

Olympus E410 (or E510 if you want image stabilising function) + std zoom is a great option, particularly if you're after a smaller digital SLR camera package (nicely made too)...Olympus do some superb macro/close up lenses if that's a subject you're into.

Nikon D40 + std zoom, or higher pixel count D40x + lens are also a really good buy at the moment, because the new model D60 has come onto the scene.
I personally preferred the even older Nikon D50. slightly larger, but unlike the other nikons I've listed, could be used with most auto focus lenses (including Tamron and Sigma ones where you can sometimes get more for your money) and don't require AF-S types.

Sony A100 (alpha) + standard zoom. superb quality zeiss branded lenses. going cheap as the newer A300 and A350 are on the scene now. They also use the same Minolta / KonicaMinolta auto focus lens mount design....so some real bargains around if you're looking for secondhand lenses at the moment.

Don't overlook some of the older Pentax *ist digital SLR's either. If you don't mind the camera being powered by 4x AA batteries of the entry level models(not normally a problem, but some people don't like the option when compared to lithium Ion rechargeables....the top-line K10 and K20 do however use Lithium rechareables).....these are really good buys....you get a lot of camera for your money.

my recommendations for a newbie. They have all the main controls, and all great starting points and indeed cameras to build systems around if needed...and all well below the £500 mark
hope it helps, and hasn't confused?

good luck

Last edited by Joe; 16-04-08 at 23:14.
Old 17-04-08, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
....the top-line K10 and K20 do however use Lithium rechareables).....these are really good buys....you get a lot of camera for your money.
There's some cracking deals around at the moment, such as
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ind...DUE+SOON&set=1
but you've gotta be quick. I went into Cameraworld in Chelmsford the other day, they were doing K10D with 18-55 kit lens for £399! This deal is no longer advertised on their web site so they may have sold out, not surprising at that price. Probably worth giving them a ring (01245 255510) if you're tempted. SRS Watford were doing the same deal too, so they may well do you body+18-55 for £399.
Old 17-04-08, 10:04
Chris

I think you are the guy who keeps this web-site on the rails Ollie, in which case you must have a technical frame of mind; you will probably learn fast and won't want to be wasting money having found an over-simple 1st DSLR not quite what you want.

The D80 although possibly over-the-top as a learner model, has individual controls for each and every setting, as have the Canon 30D upwards/forwards. You can still use a kiddie's program for a few days, but it is worth avoiding those horrible controls where you have to have a thumb on an extra button to convert a control knurl from changing f to changing speed as on the 350D. I am sure Duncan can fill in comparison on K10.

The big decision to make right 1st time is which lens fit you are going to have for all time and I think you can only pick that up if you find yourself consistently liking pics on galleries and find they are ..... However, again the D80 18-135 kit lens postpones that as you only throw away £40 if you change to Canon or Pana after.

Nikon also has the additional benefit for me, a PS hater, of having a very capable beginning to end post-processing system fine-tuned to the camera; but the 'end' is short of many fancy effects; if you are going to want to do a lot of image combining and manipulating then you end up in PS/CS anyway
Old 19-04-08, 04:12

If you need a camera without much future add ons and want to keep it (Price will drop and will not hold like Canon) consider Olympus E 410 that here with 2 quality lens comes under US$ 600 (Brand new).

Your other really good option is to go for Samsung K10 (under US$450 sometimes even 399$ and because of arrival of K20 may even be found cheaper brand new) which is the exact everything (Minus kit lens) of Pentax K10 (As dealers have hard time to sell this one because people are crazy for major brand names, (Not to say Samsung is a small name but they represent better in TV than camera world), this one goes much cheaper than its more famous cousin) that is one very high end camera body with weather seal, offered only on Canon's top line of 1D bodies, etc etc and takes all old non AF & AF (K mount and not screw 42mm mount) Pentax lenses that are a bargain for the quality. Not to mentioned that Sigma and Tamron lenses with these mount type also go significantely cheaper than Canon or Nikon as not many people buy them and therefore dealers have problem to sell and won't refuse any good offer so more power to buyers.

Remember you can find a very good second hand camera if you are very lucky or know the ins and outs of the seller but otherwise you may find yourself buying someone else headache & trouble and with digital electronic devices that just like a normal light bulb have a certain number of shutter click, etc etc use, and a fragile, easily irreversably damagable sensor, I prefer the peace of mind that one year manufacturer warranty offers and a new item for limited use and limited budget.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 19-04-08 at 04:19.
Old 10-10-08, 14:54

Default sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I'm looking to buy a new camera in the next month or two and was wondering what might be suggested for a complete amateur who's previously only really owned point and click cameras, and now wants to learn how to use something with a bit more power! I've used friend's Digital SLRs before and know the very basics - have somehow managed to get some decent shots with them too!

Not sure what else to mention really!

I want to spend a maximum of £500 to start off with, unless someone can justify me spending a little tiny bit more!

Ollie
i recently purchased a sony a200 from curry's plus 2 other lenses from ebay, the total was less than £450 and i am very pleased with the results, i also own a nikon d40 which is also a great camera for a dslr newbie