WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Extension Tubes

Old 09-09-13, 18:19

Default Extension Tubes

I have no idea if these are what I am wanting, so hope you can help.

Have looked up how to use them, but these seem to be for macro work, allowing you to focus closer to the subject. What I am looking for is ways of making the focal length longer (or is this the same thing?). I understand that you can get closer to a small oblect with extension tubes, but what about, for example, if you can't get closer (wildlife photography) and want the subject to appear closer to you?

Would extension tubes work for this? Im stuck with a Tamron 70 - 300 and cant afford to go up to 400 or above...

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks
Old 09-09-13, 19:41

Chris extension tubes will not work for what you want, what you need in an Extender, but this will probably lose autofocus on the Tamron, also you may have a quality issue. This is what you should be looking at and this is the cheap end of the market, such as the Canon extender costs in the region of £350-400.

http://www.parkcameras.com/12054/Ken...FcjKtAodB3QA2Q
Old 09-09-13, 20:42
Super Moderator

As has been said what you want is an extender (also called a teleconvertor or TC). There are two magnifications available, 1.4x and 2x, with the 1.4x you will loose one stop on the max aperture making your lens (which I assume is f5.6 at the long end) into a 420mm f8 lens. Not sure what camera you are using but with a Canon you will loose autofocus (except for with the 1Ds and the 5D3). The TC will also impact on the image quality so you might find that you are better cropping harder rather than using one. If you are shooting with a Canon then forget the Canon TCs as they will not fit your lens, look instead for the Kenko as suggested above. A used Kenko 1.4x will set you back ~£80-100 or if you can find the older 1.5x it will be a bit less (~£60) and may attempt to AF. Avoid getting a 2x as they only work well on the big prime lenses.
Old 10-09-13, 07:37

Ah, thanks guys, now I understand. The teleconverters bring your subject closer, the extension tubes bring you closer to the subject!

I have a canon 60D and my tamron lens is pretty pants to be fair. It worked better when I had my old canon 1000D but theres too much noise and fringing with the 60D (unless I just notice it more, nw I have a little more experience).

I think I now need to save for a Canon lens and a kenko teleconverter.The f stop loss I can cope with I think, but loss of autofocus might be an issue.Hope santa clause is good to me this year.....Thanks again for helping me understand.
Old 10-09-13, 11:33
Super Moderator

I suspect you notice the issues more on your 60D as the higher resolution sensor will show up any issues that the lens has more than your 1000D did. Also as you mention the more time you spend doing photography the more critically you look at your own photos.

Any lens that starts at f5.6 will not AF when used with a TC and your 60D, there are ways to trick the camera into trying to AF but it tends to give poor results. Almost all zoom lenses suffer a significant drop in IQ when used with a 1.4x. Really the best way to get extra reach is to get a longer lens, there are some relatively cheap options to do this. Have a look for a used Sigma 135-400 or 170-500, they offer very good value for the reach you get.
Old 10-09-13, 20:56

I have a tamron 70 - 300 and its pants. Im not sure I want to risk another non-canon lens, unless it comes very highly recommended. Its true that you get what you pay for and that showed with the Tamron. If only I could try one out. I have reached the point in my photography where I really need to step up to a longer lens. It's becoming very frustrating now!

Last edited by DigiDiva; 10-09-13 at 21:03.
Old 10-09-13, 21:58

Chris lenses are available for hire. Such as the Sigma 120-400 DG OS would cost £30 per day. Canon cost much more.
http://www.lenslocker.co.uk/lens-hir...dg-os-hsm.html
Old 10-09-13, 22:26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDiva View Post
I have a tamron 70 - 300 and its pants. Im not sure I want to risk another non-canon lens, unless it comes very highly recommended. Its true that you get what you pay for and that showed with the Tamron. If only I could try one out. I have reached the point in my photography where I really need to step up to a longer lens. It's becoming very frustrating now!
Not sure what shops are near you but perhaps there is one that would have some of the lenses in stock for you to test. The best way to start working out which lens to go for is to work out your budget and what you want to shoot. For that you should be able to narrow down the choices.
Old 11-09-13, 12:11

Hiring a lens for a day may be a good idea, thanks Wolfie. There's no decent camera shops near me that would stock that lens, that Im aware of. Will do a reckie and get back to you!
Old 12-09-13, 08:39
Super Moderator

I can also recommend www.lensesforhire.co.uk