WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

HELP - Stock Photography Advise

Old 16-04-11, 19:30

Exclamation HELP - Stock Photography Advise

I'm looking for some advise, still at university at the moment but I'm looking at going into the stock photography market and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advise or tips on how to approach this choice.
I have looked on websites but I'd like some real world advise.

Also if there's any websites, forums or generally anything people have give me to help me along I would very much appreciate it.

thanks
Old 23-06-11, 10:01

Here are his top stock-photography tips for anyone who wants to get into, or improve, their photography:

Concepts
Spend time thinking about your concepts. Study other photographers images in magazines, newspapers, adverts, websites etc., that should give you an idea of what people use. Take notes while researching.
Don't copy other people's work, but get inspired by them.

Lighting
Always make sure the lighting is right before you start shooting. Even if shooting in natural light, you should ideally wait for the right lighting conditions. Try different setups and see what works best; remember that even lighting is more useful for buyers.

Colours and look
Colourful and attractive images sell better. Aesthetics are important. Remember that stock imaging is not about showing how things are, but how they ideally would look like, so your images should portray the world better than reality.

Composition
Learn the rules before you break them; read about the basics of composition, there are plenty of articles online about this particular subject.
Photos are normally more interesting when you shoot them from unusual view points.

Camera settings
Shoot using manual modes on your DSLR. Check your settings, use low ISO to avoid noise. Make sure the white balance, ISO, Aperture and speed settings are correct before pressing the shutter button.
Do you want to show motion or freeze action? Do you want to isolate the subject from the background? Just a few questions you should ask yourself before taking an image.

Post Processing in RAW
To improve your images you normally need to make a few adjustments to make them 'pop'.
Set your camera to Raw format. It doesn’t cost you anything and the outcome from it will nearly always be better than improving an already compressed JPEG image.
Raw gives you more control as you can change the white balance, improve contrast, tint, reduce/increase shadows, increase/decrease saturation etc ….

Photoshop
Use all your software skills to illustrate your ideas in the best possible way.
Many people, especially traditional photographers, will “put you down” or seem to think less of an image if it has been photoshopped. This is the digital era and not an art gallery, the whole point is to try and represent a concept in the best possible way. If you get it perfect in the camera, that fantastic. Yet, if have to work on it in Photoshop, that's good too! Buyers don’t care they will buy the image if it is what they need no matter how you made it, as long it is a good image.
Remember that any post-processing or montage has to be very well done, otherwise the image will not even pass the review process.

Keywords
Keywords are extremely important.
No matter how good your image is, if the keywords are bad, your image will not sell or be seen.

Upload only your best images
With digital it is free to get as many photos as you can from a subject so why not do so? If you shoot a lot of photos from different angles and compositions of a subject you are bound to get much better images. Once you have done so choose ONLY your best shots and upload them.
Good quality is always more important than quantity.

Consistency
If you are reading this it is likely that you are one of those that really want to succeed in this industry. Remember that practice makes perfect. Set yourself goals, shoot a few images every day and upload constantly, numbers and quality will grow as you go along.
Old 23-06-11, 10:25

Great tips and info for a very challenging and can be very lucrative market

Tags
stock