WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Do you use DNG?

Old 06-08-06, 10:53

Default Do you use DNG?

Hi all,

I'm increasingly using RAW for some of my shots but am concerned about future support for the various camera-specific proprietary formats. I was wondering, do any of you use DNG? If so, how do you use it, e.g. do you convert your camera RAWs to DNGs immediately after copying them from the camera and then delete the original RAWs? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on DNG.
Old 06-08-06, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_s
Hi all,

I'm increasingly using RAW for some of my shots but am concerned about future support for the various camera-specific proprietary formats. I was wondering, do any of you use DNG? If so, how do you use it, e.g. do you convert your camera RAWs to DNGs immediately after copying them from the camera and then delete the original RAWs? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on DNG.

Convert your RAW files to TIF or TIFF and save them uncompressed. TIF files are the international standard that most if not all Graphics Software can open, it's used by the majority of the publishing and graphics companies throughout the world. Why convert them to DNG, you will probably have to convert them again to TIF if you want to work with high quality imaging.

nirofo.
Old 12-08-06, 17:33

I use dng all the time but I now convert mine while they are downloading as I see no point in keeping two types of rawfile.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography