WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Sepia Toning

Old 24-04-11, 10:29

Default Sepia Toning

I have taken some images with the camera set to RAW and JPG and shot in Sepia Tone. The thumbnails in my computer folders show both the RAW and JPG as Sepia but when you open the RAW in Adobe Camera RAW it is in colour. Naturally I want to process the RAW files and convert to Sepia rather than settle for the camera's JPG but I am not sure how to do this. Also, should it be done in Camera RAW or Photoshop?
Can anybody help please.
Many thanks
Paul
Old 24-04-11, 12:54
Super Moderator

In camera settings for sharpening, colour saturation, toning etc only affect jpgs, the RAW file is what it says - raw - ie unaltered.

As for when to convert to mono/sepia, I always do this in PS with a layer and save the file in psd format - that way you've always got the colour version if you want it again at a later stage without having to start your editing from scratch again.

As with anything in PS there is more than one way to create sepia toned images: -

Method 1
  • Add a hue & saturation layer
  • Tick colourise
  • Adjust the hue & saturation sliders to get the colour & amount of toning you require ... I find a Hue of 42 and a Saturation of 12% about right for sepia, - your preferences my be different
  • Adding a Colour Mixer or Gradient map layer under the H&S layer can improve contrast & tonal balance

Method 2
  • Add a Black & white adjustment layer
  • Adjust the colour sliders until you are happy with the look on the mono image
  • Tick the "tint" box
  • Adjust the hue & saturation sliders to get the colour & amount of toning you require ... I find the default Hue of 42 about right for sepia, but prefer to reduce the Saturation to about 12% - your preferences my be different

Method 3
  • Convert to mono using the method of your choice ... for options ee under monochrome on Clive Haynes site or this post
  • Convert to Grayscale >image >mode >Grayscale
  • Convert to Duotone >image >mode >Duotone
  • Ink 1 is your shadows tone - usually black but click on the colour box if you want to change it but keep it dark
  • Ink 2 is your highlights tone - again click the box & try Pantone 148C as a starter.
  • This method gives the control to shape the tone curves individually if desired by clicking the curve box to the left of the colour swatch box

Method 4
That should get you started
Old 24-04-11, 14:20

Many thanks Clive for taking the time to reply and offering the various options. It is very much appreciated. I have tried the first three options quite quickly and I think I like the first option the best but I will spend a bit more time on each in due course.
Thanks again.
Paul