WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Re-sizing for the gallery

Old 04-03-07, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Don, I never have problems getting a reasonable file size by saving as a quality 6 jpeg but perhaps this explains why the 'save for web' function never seems as good a quality.
Not quite sure what you mean by 300 ppi and 200 ppi (assume pixels per inch) I always use 72 ppi for the web so where does the 300 and 200 come in to it?
Roy, yes ppi = pixels per inch. I normally save as compressed jpeg that by default is 300ppi. I noticed that save for web comes in at 200ppi. I have never tried 72. I don't understand how 72 ppi can be better quality than 200 unless for web viewing 200 is way to much and lost detail cannot be seen.

I noticed a big file size difference when I got a 12mp camera over 6mp particularly if there is lots of fine detail. It will be interesting when cameras are 20mp, but perhaps its a lot down to me not being to genned up on file size reduction from large files without loosing detail.

Don
Old 04-03-07, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I have never tried 72. I don't understand how 72 ppi can be better quality than 200 unless for web viewing 200 is way to much and lost detail cannot be seen.
You've hit the nail on the head there Don. The pixel size resolution of most monitors is such that 200ppi is more detail than can be displayed. For an old CRT, then 72ppi was more than could have been displayed. I haven't bothered working out the resolution of the newest, best flat panel displays.
Old 04-03-07, 17:51
Super Moderator

I have only just started trying the 72ppi setting to see the result and am quite surprised, viewing on the web there doesn't seem to be any loss in quality. The reason I thought I would give it a go is because of copyright. If it can only be seen at the 72ppi then its know use to anyone trying to use your image.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 04-03-07, 17:57

Thanks Duncan and Christine,

I will have a play and then use 72 for my next pic.

I had a good look at Roys gallery and they all seem good.

Don
Old 04-03-07, 18:18

Quote:
Thanks Duncan and Christine,

I will have a play and then use 72 for my next pic.

I had a good look at Roys gallery and they all seem good.

Don
Don, I dont think you will see any difference when viewing on the web if you use 72 ppi, 300 ppi or 1000 ppi. Neither will the image size be any different. Canon Cameras default to 72 dpi whereas my Nikon CP 4500 defaults to 300 ppi but quality wise it is irrelevent - you can change to whatever you like, file size will not be effected. The only time it makes a difference is for printing output.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 04-03-07, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I have only just started trying the 72ppi setting to see the result and am quite surprised, viewing on the web there doesn't seem to be any loss in quality. The reason I thought I would give it a go is because of copyright. If it can only be seen at the 72ppi then its know use to anyone trying to use your image.
Christine, DPI/PPI doesn't matter for web viewing, only for printing. If you post a image say 800 pixels wide at 72 ppi - you will get a 11.1 inch print if you use 72 dpi (poor quality print) if you print at 300 dpi you will get a 2.6 inch print size (good quality print)
Try saving a inamge at say 30 ppi, you still will not see much difference when viewing on the web.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 04-03-07 at 21:35.
Old 04-03-07, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
You've hit the nail on the head there Don. The pixel size resolution of most monitors is such that 200ppi is more detail than can be displayed. For an old CRT, then 72ppi was more than could have been displayed. I haven't bothered working out the resolution of the newest, best flat panel displays.
The general opinion is that the very best monitors nowadays can display up to 90ppi - but you are talking about top quality monitors, the average will still only display around 72 ppi. If you wanting to be ultra safe you could save at 96 ppi but you would be hard pushed to see any difference.
This is why I was totally confused by Don's posting about 200 and 300 ppi.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 04-03-07, 20:04

I have just done a save from a tiff in 3 flavours all sized to 1024 at 100% for a level playing field.

300 came out at 718kb
96 came out at 717kb
save for web which is 200 came out at 650kb

The difference between save for web and the others is that it has stripped out the exif info which probably accounts for the smaller file size.

Don
Old 04-03-07, 20:23

Terminology error on my part I should have said DPI not ppi.

Don
Old 04-03-07, 21:08

Quote:
I have just done a save from a tiff in 3 flavours all sized to 1024 at 100% for a level playing field.

300 came out at 718kb
96 came out at 717kb
save for web which is 200 came out at 650kb

The difference between save for web and the others is that it has stripped out the exif info which probably accounts for the smaller file size.

Don
This back up what I said Don 300 ppi and 96 ppi = the same file size. As you quite rightly say, the only reason the 200 ppi is smaller is because the exif data has been stripped. There is no difference in quality to any of these dpi sizes.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM