WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

What software for processing Raw

Old 06-07-07, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieZ740 View Post
photoshop cs3, y anything else?
I use Nikon Capture because the PS CS2 converter just is not up to scratch IMO. Clearly it is different in Canon land.
Old 06-07-07, 21:47

As a Canon user DPP is an absolute waste of space. For RAW conversion I use Phase One, and now Lightroom.
Old 06-07-07, 21:55
Chris

Quote:
photoshop cs3, y anything else? you open it, process it, and there it is in ps, dnt see the point in opening in 85 different raw programs to finally put in ps.. cs3 is the shniz...its why they made it
3 reasons Jamie
(a) RAW conversion parallels the firmware in the camera, so using DPP for canon camera allows you to set the camera parameters neutral or as you find yourself shifting them regularly. Likewise NX for Nikon.
(b) the RAW converter in PS(E4) is only a subset of those in DPP/probably NX, not the lot. Saves are then to .png, not the original untouched article
(c) PS is a notoriously user unfriendly programme that also hogs memory, flattens batteries and is generally anti-social. Unfortunately about the only thing that has layers and hosts one or two useful plug-ins, so that is all I use it for.
Old 06-07-07, 22:10

Quote:
photoshop cs3, y anything else? you open it, process it, and there it is in ps, dnt see the point in opening in 85 different raw programs to finally put in ps.. cs3 is the shniz...its why they made it
Jamie,

I have no experience of CS3 but I have CS2. Quick check on prices at WHE and CS3 £569 , NX £119.

I just cannot resist this. Ever so easy done in NX. So here is a straight conversion from raw, that is full size to play with, but naturally suffered a huge compression to get it here, and the NX result ( excluding the touch of clone on the chimney and resize and sharpen). These were done in CS. About 30 mins worth of time.

Should be a doddle in CS3 if it is the shniz.

I am not at all sure how ACR deals with NEFs but when I have a bit of time I will check it out.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2X_0471.jpg (249.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Steam-power.jpg (132.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-07-07, 09:42
Chris

Couldn't resist combination of Don's steam engine and John Crossley's 'waste of space'.

Another version of Don's with the large gob of birdshit removed as well, which took about 4 of the 10 minutes operation from original jpg entirely using RGB section of DPP. Not sure why you got rid of the green paint Don and have left more colour in sky (actually I suppose the selective de-colouring is probably what took the time), in fact done very little other than touch of curve-contrasting and the cloning. And that is without having the RAW file and using stronger RAW pane of DPP
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...1&d=1183797590

Last edited by Chris; 07-07-07 at 09:49.
Old 07-07-07, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Couldn't resist combination of Don's steam engine and John Crossley's 'waste of space'.

.......................Not sure why you got rid of the green paint Don and have left more colour in sky (actually I suppose the selective de-colouring is probably what took the time)
Very good Chris.

When I took the pic I had the vision of B&W conversion and put back the brass. I did this in the wet darkroom days and the process took ages. The brass being painted back with a fine brush and bleach. So as I had just got NX at the time I thought I would give it a go. You are right about where the time went. In NX the masking layers are automatically created so in essence you can just convert to B&W and then paint back any colour. I have no idea how to do this in Photoshop.

In view of Jamies post I mentioned the relative prices to suggest that you can do a lot without breaking the bank, even if you achieve that through using more than one program.

I have no doubt CS3 is a very powerful program but from my experience with NX and CS2 then I have found NX so much easier to use to do those things that it can ( easier learing curve ). If you run NX then you will need another photo editor to do cloning and some of the fancy pants stuff that Christine, Clive, Craftysnapper and others do.

When I get a chance I will compare how CS deals with a Nikon Raw ( NEF ) file. NX reads all the camera settings and displays the image to suit those camera settings you had when you first open the image. You can then easily change any of those settings. This I found to be the big difference between NX and Rawshooter. Rawshooter although less memory hungry does not seem to recognise any of those settings so you have to reapply. Also a saved as raw file after you have made those adjustments in RSE does not read that info if you open the image at a later date. No such probs in NX or NC4.

To answer an earlier question on NX, a jpeg can be saved as a NEF file ( 8bit ), Tiff file, or jpeg at various step levels of compression. If it is saved as a NEF then all processing actions undertaken are also saved with the image so they can be changed easily at a later date. A processed jpeg saved as NEF is a smaller file size than a straight Tiff.

Don
Old 07-07-07, 11:08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post

...relative prices to suggest that you can do a lot without breaking the bank, even if you achieve that through using more than one program.

... If you run NX then you will need another photo editor to do cloning and some of the fancy pants stuff that Christine, Clive, Craftysnapper and others do.

...NX, a jpeg can be saved as a NEF file

Don
Photoshop is available in the much cheaper Elements form, about £50 for those who can get on with the Adobe interface. The only thing that seemed to be lacking is curves, for which you have to have 3rd party plug-in, though maybe Lightroom has now got there. On curves the beauty of DPP is that the RGB control window shows levels AND curves in all 3 colours superimposed with main window being a very accurate preview.

If NX doesn't include cloning (as DPP does), then yes a 2nd stage prog is essential; one is anyway for horizon levelling (or use a bubble-cube in the first place?)

Do you really mean "in NX, a jpeg can be saved as a NEF file", ie would it make some of its features available for non-Nikon files?
Old 07-07-07, 12:03
Chris

Hey Stephen, Park cameras are doing NX for £99
http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDe...tegoryID/32/v/
Old 07-07-07, 12:16

thanks Chris I will check that out.
Stephen
Old 08-07-07, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Do you really mean "in NX, a jpeg can be saved as a NEF file", ie would it make some of its features available for non-Nikon files?
Chris,

NX will treat any jpeg from any source the same as if it was from a Nikon. The same goes for Tiffs. Naturally shots taken in RAW on a Nikon camera allow for adjustment of lots of things W/B, exposure, colour space etc that are not available options to change in jpeg anyway. All the other features of the program are though.

I will post some screen grabs of these later.

A jpeg saved as a NEF is probably similar to what you get with .PSD. I have not gone the .PSD route to exactly know what you get.

Don